Great heel walk round the woods

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Loopyloo30, Nov 14, 2014.

1. Loopyloo30

Loopyloo30 Registered Users

It's totally tipping it down today... so I took Bob on one of the shorter walks round the woods after dropping Arthur off at school. He walked to heel ALL the way round. I kept saying 'OK then' - our cue for do your own thing...but he didn't budge from my side. We didn't see any other dogs today so that might have been partly it... usually he bounds off to say hello. Or maybe it was the rain and the mud everywhere. But I'm quite impressed.

I need to get my whistle for recall... I do worry that my voice doesn't carry enough when he's running around playing. Must order that today so we can start training with that.

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Re: Great heel walk round the woods

Well done Bobminster! I did a little on- and off-lead heel work this morning, too. She HATES her lead! We're picking up a broader, padded collar for her later on today, so I'm hoping that will be a bit more comfortable for her.

3. Loopyloo30

Loopyloo30 Registered Users

Fiona do you put that new collar on WITH the flashy light one as well? Or do you just use the flashing one for evenings? Bob is pretty good at walking with the lead on, it's probably because we were naughty and took him round the block a few times on the lead before his booster, so I guess he's had a bit more practise with it.

4. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

No, I just use that one when it's dark out. It's probably not sturdy enough to use as a "proper" collar.

We've only done heel work around the house and our terrace, so it's not surprising she's struggling out and about with so many lovely smells! So I'm just doing a little bit here and there. I'm going to take some sardines next time to really focus her :)

5. Incastinker

Incastinker Registered Users

Sardines work great! Inca is perfect at walking to heel off-lead but a bit patchy on the lead. I have only really been walking her on the lead once a day and I think I need to up it to at least 2 short sessions daily as I feel every time we set off on the lead it takes her a while to remember what she is meant to be doing. Once she remembers she's not so bad.

6. Leanangle

Leanangle Registered Users