Grooming

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by mistry girl, Mar 6, 2013.

1. mistry girl

mistry girl Registered Users

Hi Guys - what are the best utensils to use for the best grooming practice? I have the wire needle brush, a rubber curry brush and a bristle brush, with a comb to get the hairs out of said brushes. What is everyone else's grooming procedure?

2. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Re: Grooming

We use a furminator but they don't suit every dog, some find them too harsh. An ordinary rubber glove picks up loose hair :)

3. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I find a quick brushing or rub with a towel every now and then usually is enough. Poppy lost her winter undercoat a few weeks ago and I found the furminator excellent for pulling out that dead fur - but I only used it twice, then went back to normal brushing.

The great thing (or one of the great things) about labs is that they really dont need much grooming - EXCEPT when the dreaded moulting occurs and they lose all that woolly undercoat. Otherwise, their coat is pretty much self-regulating, I find. Mine just needs a rubbing down with a towel when she is wet or muddy, and the very occasional bath if she rolls in something gross. :p

4. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Hi , I use a rubber type mitten with soft spikes on it , got it from Pets at Home , my Sam loves it because its like being massaged, he goes quite gaga over it and it gently removes lose hair but admit I only do him maybe once every couple of weeks :)

5. Moorlands

Moorlands Registered Users

Mine are pretty much self-grooming, a run though the heather does a fantastic job and like Karen just a quick rub down with a towel whenever they're wet.
    I do have a zoom groom tool which is great for lifting the undercoat during moult - however don't use it inside as it doesn't hold the hair like a brush or comb so the groomings float everywhere and you end up having to groom the carpet as well ;D

6. mistry girl

mistry girl Registered Users

Thanks Guys - always good to know what works for everyone ;)