Group walk dilemma

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by zigisla, Mar 31, 2014.

1. zigisla

zigisla Registered Users

I have a small, but significant dilemma. :-\ Finley is a really excitable dog who likes nothing more than clearing fields to get access to other dogs. He loves the "chase me, chase me" games and has a face like a child who has dropped an ice cream when a well behaved dog chooses to ignore him :( and then comes back to me. I use this opportunity to use a well timed recall and a quality C&T to show that I am the really exciting one to be around and you should concentrate on me. ;)

We often run into a German Shepherd group walk and have been asked to join them as Fin really seems to enjoy himself, but will this make him think that all dogs are even better than me (as if he didn’t know that already) ::), because if he cannot get a "chase me" from one dog he will try another and another until he gets a chase game going. He even managed to turn a growling and snarling see off charge from two terriers into a chase me game. ::) We do games and tugs etc during a walk and also some formal training sessions but these are for short periods as it is difficult to train him whilst walking Ruby as well but I am a bit concerned that I will loose the little bit of interest he holds for me and he will always seek out other dogs, or will this once a week walk not really affect our bonding time. So, dilemma is, do we group walk once a week, or stick to just bumping into any one else we see. :-\

Your opinions as always are welcomed.

2. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Re: Group walk dilemma

That's a tough one!

It would be lovely to see him having a ball with some buddies but it could impact your training. I try (try being the operative word! :eek: ) to maintain control over when Riley does and doesn't get to play with other dogs, it starts and finishes when I say(that's the plan). His recall doesn't always work though so if I want to leave I go and get him so as not to break my recall.

Would it be possible to join them for a short period and then go your own way and gradually build up to a full walk together when you're happy you understand if it's working for you both? Otherwise there's no harm saying you'd love to go but you need another 3 months(or 6, 9, 12 whatever) to do some more work on your one to one training first.

Good luck! ;D

3. zigisla

zigisla Registered Users

Barbara,

As these are just drop in walks, i.e. you just turn up on the day and in verious locations, I could wait until the group walk in my local area and then just "Happen" across them towards the end of my walk so he a "bit" worn out and not for the full hour and a half scheduled walk they do.

4. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

That sounds like a good plan :)