1. WELCOME

To join the conversation, please register. It only takes a minute!

Gundog Training at Beanwood..

Discussion in 'Gundog Training, Fieldwork, & Field Trials' started by Beanwood, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Beanwood

Beanwood Moderator Forum Supporter

We hosted a Gundog training event at Beanwood yesterday, it went better than we could have imagined. Great people and great dogs! The atmosphere was relaxed, the weather beautiful if a little warm.

Organised through the Gundog Games Group, with Jules Morgan as our trainer. SWMBO also attended as one of the group, it was nice to see her take a back seat as a trainer, and just enjoy working her own dog for a change. I must admit, it was a joy to watch her handling her dog, who was just perfect, despite not having any training for three weeks....sigh...

The morning kicked off in the paddock. We had set up a jump, obstacles, to provide a testing and complex challenge for this advanced class of dogs and handlers. The first exercise was a simple long seen retrieve for everyone, just to warm up. Then it was on to shot over the jump. The dogs had to sit calmly, and wait for the send out, jump a fence and hunt for the dummy the other side. Some dogs found the jump a bit daunting, so whilst we had coffee, my OH managed bit of quick rearranging for the next session! :)

Coffee break was sitting out in the sun and eating ice cream while discussing the first part of the morning, and planning the next sessions.

So out again late morning, and onto the next set of exercises. Blinds combined with marked seen dummies with shot. The blinds were daunting from a distance perspective...so we opted for a marked, followed by a blind, still daunting, but far better than the other way round!:eek: The more experienced handlers went straight into a blind, followed by a seen. Anyhow Bramble nailed it, I was enormously proud of her. Her eyes shining, tail up, obviously enjoying herself.

We then finished the morning with the revamped jump, made lower and more obvious for the dogs. They all did really well, with lots of cheering from the rest of the group, so we all finished for lunch on a high!

After lunch, we hiked up the hill to the top fields, edged by a wood. We congregated amongst the trees, with dappled sunshine, hmmm...ideal for a bit of hunting maybe? :rolleyes: Yup, next exercise, shot with dummies thrown, the dogs were then sent out to hunt for the thrown dummy. This was quite a tough one for the dogs, lots of distracting scent,deer, rabbit and fox, notwithstanding hunting in the deep greenery of bluebells and wild garlic! The distance was kept short to compensate. All dogs did well, despite the heat , even in the shade of the woods. Working in woods is great training, especially for those dogs so used to "seeing" retrieves, by encouraging them to get their noses down to hunt.

We ended the day on a double...shot, dummy thrown in the wood, turn, then shot and dummy thrown over an obstacle. Dog marks both and then send your for the first, and the most difficult, the dummy into the wood. This was because the dog had to manage undergrowth and a ditch, brambles, then hunt to find the dummy. It was impressive to watch the dogs, all of them progressing really well.

So in summary, a great day!

Photos kindly taken by Clair Huckle Photography :)

https://clairhucklephotography.shootproof.com/gallery/6491783/home

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
    UncleBob, Cath, drjs@5 and 9 others like this.
  2. Karen

Karen Registered Users

That sounds and looks wonderful!!!!!

3. charlie

charlie Registered Users

How exciting Kate to host such an event. Those photo's are stunning and I LOVE the Vizsla just stunning, they all are :) Will this be a regular event? x

4. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog Forum Supporter

Wow, congratulations on organising such a great event. It sounds like a wonderful day with lots of happy people and dogs. I guess if you ever want to give up your day job, there's career number two for you? :D

Hope you have a well-deserved calm and quiet weekend. Maybe brunch a the local dog-friendly bistro? With a plate of sausage for Casper? :p

5. Beanwood

Do you mean the blue vizsla? Now that is a famous dog, has even been on a photo shoot with Will Smith, I think he (the dog...) has his own agent..:)

drjs@5 likes this.
  6. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Ooo I love Will Smith, lucky doggie :inlove: thought he was a Weimeraner? I was admiring the regular Vizsla, I have fallen inlove with the breed :) x

7. Beanwood

Yes you are right! Having a brain fart...too much sun yesterday!:Do_O

drjs@5 and charlie like this.
  8. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Glad it wasn't me, for a change! :D x

9. heidrun

heidrun Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Lovely photos, but where were the spanners? Couldn't see a single spaniel.:);)

drjs@5 and Karen like this.
  10. edzbird

edzbird Supporting Member Forum Supporter

What a stunning collection of very fit looking dogs.

11. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Ah, it looks fab, I’m sad I missed it! Next time!

12. drjs@5

drjs@5 Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Looks fabulous - well done to you both!

13. Xena Dog Princess

Xena Dog Princess Registered Users

Ok, I've seen the name mentioned so many times, but even google can't help me out. Who is SWMBO? What does it stand for? She's a gundog trainer I take it?

And crikey, it was really hot by the looks of the singlet in the photos? Beautiful dogs, lots of flappy ears :)

drjs@5 likes this.
  14. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

It was one of the hottest April's days for about 30 years round here everyone went crazy and filled swimming pools and had bbqs.

15. chrisc831

chrisc831 Supporting Member Forum Supporter

She Who Must Be Obeyed perhaps? Just a google inspired guess.

Xena Dog Princess and drjs@5 like this.
  16. drjs@5

drjs@5 Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Got it in one.
    Won't prise her real name out of anyone though ;)

selina27 and snowbunny like this.