Had a big scare :(

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by snowbunny, Nov 24, 2014.

1. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Last night, we took the pups for a stroll to our local pub. Before that, we had a nice run off-lead on the mountain so they'd be tired and more likely to settle. Then we had to walk on the road, so on-lead, to the pub. This was absolutely fine and both pups were doing SO well, even with lots of distractions. We got to the door and I went in, turned round and heard DH squeal. I quickly ran out again, Willow in tow, to see a dust cart going past and hubby running off with Shadow's lead and collar in his hand. No Shadow.

He'd been scared by the dust cart and slipped his collar just as they were walking through the door. He nearly ran out in front of the truck. Luckily, he ran around the corner instead and there were no cars. I blew for all I was worth on the whistle and he came running back, but he was visibly scared ... as were we.

I really thought we'd lost him :(

2. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Re: Had a big scare :(

Oh my word.

I bet your heart beats too fast every time you think about it. But it's over now, try to put it behind you. Especially get him walking the same route asap so he's not put off.

((many hugs))

3. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Oh my gosh!
    What a fright Fiona.
    I bet your heart was in your mouth.
    SO glad all was fine. I guess that is one of the benefits if using harnesses.
    You will have needed your drink when you got in.
    Phew.
    On the upside.....he responded to your recall. All are safe.

4. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Super scary! I bet you needed a stiff drink, hope you got one.

Charlie slipped his collar twice when he was younger - both times he deliberately did so to get to play with another dog. I don't use a harness all the time, but when he is wearing a harness it's one less thing to worry about. Maybe consider one for Shadow until you've got him out and about a bit more.

5. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Glad he didn't go too far and he is safe. Big hugs x

6. snowbunny

I think you may be right about the harness. He's got a particularly small neck and head - a lot more stream-lined than Willow, so even if a collar was done up too tight, he'd still be able to get it off. It's sad because he was walking perfectly to heel before that so at this stage doesn't need a harness as a correction aid for that.

I'm going to take him out this evening when the dust cart is around and give him cuddles and treats as it goes past - maybe follow it around a bit.

[quote author=Boogie link=topic=8877.msg126230#msg126230 date=1416816480]
    I bet your heart beats too fast every time you think about it.
    [/quote]

Lying in bed last night, it just kept running round and round in my head. Horrible. But you're right, it's done, no harm came to him and we can learn from it. The pet shop is closed on Mondays, but I'll be going down tomorrow to see if they have harnesses that would fit him.

7. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

What a terrible fright!!!!! You poor things. So glad it was all ok.

I second the harness.....

8. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=snowbunny link=topic=8877.msg126236#msg126236 date=1416817273]
    It's sad because he was walking perfectly to heel before that so at this stage doesn't need a harness as a correction aid for that.
    [/quote]

A simple back fastening harness is not a correction aid - it gives you no assistance to help get a dog to walk properly at all. It doesn't hinder either. It's just a different and safer way to attach yourself to a dog. Charlie isn't keen on his harness, otherwise I'd use it a lot more than I do.

The one young Obi is wearing is absolutely ideal for young pups...

[​IMG]

9. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

Good grief, Fiona, what a nightmare - literally (I had it as a recurring bad dream when Pongo was little!). Tons and tons of sympathy. At least he did come back to your call - that is really good.

10. gnecleston

gnecleston Registered Users

Yes a harness for a slippery dog is a good idea. My lab hahas always been fine although wears a martingale collar (so it sits really loose and then tightens with a pull but I have it so loose it's still looser than a normal collar but no loose enough to slip and have only started with this as she got older as she doesn't like collars.) But my gsp has a really small head and neck and is a real wrigglers and could slip anything so he wear a collar and harness to be on the safe side.
    Just out of interest Julie t (cannot find a private mail option) are you from hampshire as I think I may have met you with your lovely clumber a couple of weeks ago at a gundog session?
    Enjoy your two bundles snowbunny, mine are both pups and it is great fun!

11. snowbunny

Thanks Julie. I'll see if there's anything similar at our pet shop. Sadly, it's a tiny shop, so I doubt there will be anything ideal in there. I think today I'll get a good one ordered from t'interweb and then see what they have there when they're open tomorrow to use in the interim.

What make is that one that Obi's wearing?

12. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I think that's a Puppia harness with the paw logo on the front. They are called "mesh" harnesses, lots of different brands.

13. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=gnecleston link=topic=8877.msg126249#msg126249 date=1416819650]

Just out of interest Julie t (cannot find a private mail option) are you from hampshire as I think I may have met you with your lovely clumber a couple of weeks ago at a gundog session?

[/quote]

Hello there and welcome to the forum! The picture is of Barbara Brown and her lovely clumber pup Obi - I just nicked it to show Fiona the harness. :)

14. David

David Registered Users

Wow! What a fright! Then what a relief all was ok. Lady can slip an ordinary collar as easily as anything. I think it's because her head is hardly any bigger than her neck, so if your dogs are like her a harness might be the better bet.

15. snowbunny

I think that's the issue with him, David. His head is really small. Willow has a head that's bigger than her neck, but I'm going to put her collar on and have a good look at it in a bit before deciding if we should go for one or two .

16. David

David Registered Users

I've just checked Lady's head and it's only her ears that make her head wider than her neck. The rest of the head is exactly the same size as her neck! ;D

17. Holliesmum

Holliesmum Registered Users

Oh fiona how terrible for you both, glad all is ok and no harm done x

18. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

You can get fantastic "hound" collars - they are really wide, designed for dogs with narrow heads. And the martingale collar is often used for sight hounds too.

I thought of getting a hound collar for Charlie during his lunging but hating his harness phase - thinking a wider collar would at least risk less damage to his neck - but then we got over the lunging.

19. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Lilly has slipped out her collar too, now and again. I probably don't have it on tight enough - its ok for general use, and of course fine to hang her tags on when she is on a slip lead.

My problem is when she is on her flexi lead when we are on our morning walk along the country road. If she is pulling against me with her head away "lunge" style its not an issue, its if she turns her body so her head is closer and I am pulling her towards me, then it could slip off. That makes it sound like she is really bad on the lead :D She isn't brilliant if she is on the way out for her walk, but is mostly good. Its if she finds something she really must sniff, and its so good it takes longer than the lead reeling in and then reeling out after I have passed and she is STILL there, then if I were to pull her away the collar issue might arise. My solution is just to walk back to her and gain control.

Moral really is to be aware of both your body positions when walking on lead.
    I do like Obi's harness though. My OH would think I had taken leave of my senses if I put Lilly in a harness. He doesn't know about the simple one I have for long lead training :D I think in your situation though it would be a done deal Fiona.

20. snowbunny

[quote author=drjs@5 link=topic=8877.msg126270#msg126270 date=1416829624]
    Moral really is to be aware of both your body positions when walking on lead.
    [/quote]

Yes, this makes real sense and, as much as he's very new to being on a lead, he walks beautifully on it. I'm sure if we'd been walking down the road when the truck went past, there wouldn't have been an issue. Shadow is a bit hesitant walking through some doors, so it was probably a combination of him already being a step behind John as he opened the (heavy) door and then the truck coming past, made him able to back out of his collar.

There is no question, though - I will be buying them harnesses.