Had to skip dinner

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Somatic, Aug 10, 2016.

1. Somatic

Somatic Registered Users

So when my wife got home, she called me and said Arnie had somehow knocked the lid off his kibble container and he had eaten like a piggie!! Fat bloated belly. So I thought we'd skip dinner tonight and resume with feeding again tomorrow morning.

Little piggie

2. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Yes, keep him well hydrated and watch carefully for any lethargy. That much dried food could easily cause de-hydration.

Hope all is well xx

3. Somatic

Somatic Registered Users

Yeah he has been smashing his water down tonight, so I would imagine he's a little low on the fluids.

He also has been a little low on the energy, which I put down to having a massively over full belly. When I have eaten a whole pizza by myself I don't feel like doing anything either.

4. Boogie

Hmmmmm, I think a trip to the vet may be an idea. Just to be sure.

5. Somatic

Somatic Registered Users

I've done a quick Google search but what are the signs and possibility of bloat?

He obviously has a swollen stomach because he ate too much, he's thirsty because of it. He's lethargic because of it. However, he doesn't show any signs of pain when I touch his stomach. He's not trying to vomit and his poop from earlier looked normal.

6. Somatic

Somatic Registered Users

His stomach isn't poking out on the sides, it just seems full

7. Boogie

If it were me I would phone the vet. They are very good at giving advice in these kinds of situations.

When Tatze was 14 weeks she ate a tulip bulb, my vet was really good at giving me the signs to look for. He said to rush her there if I saw any. Luckily we didn't but my mind was put at rest.

Twiglet had a runny tummy and I did the same, the vet asked her symptoms and directed me straight to vet hospital, she was on a drip for four days. It was a bacterial infection.

I would give them a call, they won't treat unnecessarily.

8. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

I took Shadow to the vet after a similar incident when he was 6 months old staying with friends. He was huge. The vet took an X-Ray of his stomach to make sure it was all OK, gave him an injection and told us to starve him for a day or so. She gave us some meds to give him.

He wasn't in any pain, just rather tired and huge. I'm glad I went to the vet, because it put my mind at rest. She said it can be dangerous, so best to get checked out, even though it probably won't be a problem. I'm very much in the "better safe than sorry" camp.

9. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

I would certainly phone the vet, the stomach could twist at any time, best to get advice and then you can put your mind at rest.

10. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

....and be prepared for sick & poo :(

11. Somatic

Somatic Registered Users

Yeah called the vet. They didn't seem overly concerned when I explained his behaviour. He was still his normal self. They said I could bring him in if I was concerned. He's doing fine this morning. No foul detected.

Xena Dog Princess and Lin like this.
  12. Xena Dog Princess

Xena Dog Princess Registered Users

That's a relief. What did the vet recommend re feeding today? No food? Just dinner?

13. Debs

Debs Registered Users

I remember Maisie getting into to her food and reappearing looking huge and bloated. A few minutes of panic.. she was panting and staggering...went into the garden, tried to be sick and that was it! Needless to say we were up at about 3am in the garden with a bad stomach!

14. Somatic

Somatic Registered Users

Nah he got his brekkie in a frozen Kong. I think I may have over reacted. When I let him out this morning I could tell he was hungry.