Halti Harness

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by lois, Nov 27, 2013.

1. lois

lois Registered Users

Just bought Poppy this Harness to hopefully help with her pulling....put it on her today for her to get used to it, just went to take it off and shes chewed all the way through it little Madam.....any other Harness solutions????

2. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Re: Halti Harness

Oh gosh,I'm something of a pulling survivor .....is pulling why you have brought in a harness.?...I'm not clear are you using a harness....a walking aid that fastens round the body?or a halti which fastens across her nose and moves her head down if she pulls ....tell me a bit more about what's going on,I've had pulling nightmares ,all of my own creating and we have pretty much solved it now....

3. lois

lois Registered Users

Hi Dexter Im not your name sorry....
    I did have Halti Harness until today, it was around the body one I thought it would help with the pulling and jumping up, thinking if the leads not in front of her eyes it would stop the jumping up and grabbing but even the harness didn't stop that the two times I took her out in it today, she pulls me so hard she weighs about 25kg im only 5 2 and 8 stone so it a real struggle sometimes, and I guess my fault for not getting sorted when she was smaller she is now 1 year old, so any advice you have yes please..thankyou

4. Susan Jay

Susan Jay Registered Users

Hi there. I have bought my two year old lab a halti training harness as also fed up of her sheer strength and actually pulling me over one day when she bolted on the lead to see her collie pal - would have looked great on You've Been Framed! It has helped a lot and it clips off easily from her collar and from under her body when I let her off for her run around. I have used it for about 3 or 4 months now and it is certainly much less work for me as it does check her pulling and not wench my arms from my sockets - like you I am light in weight and not that tall. However when I do go back to the lead the training doesn't seem to have transferred and she still pulls - not as much as she used to though - so I am persevering and maybe she will eventually get the message! Good luck with Dexter.

5. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Hi Lois!it's Angela...sorry I've probably not told you that!

Dexter was 5 months when he came to us...his heel off lead was pretty good but we live in Dubai,a really dog unfriendly city..dogs must be on lead all the time in public areas.Dex didn't have the self control to not run off after everything in the park if he'd have been off lead at that stage so I went about it all wrong putting him straight onto a collar and lead and setting off outside...and the pulling was dreadful.i did the whole stopping so as not to move forward and reward pulling,changing direction.....none of it had any effect...and without being disrespectful to my Husband....when he was walking he just let Dex pull like a train on an extendable lead so that was not helping....6 weeks later my parents were on holiday and I came in from a walk and burst into tears...we had truly got nowhere,it was tedious,upsetting and embarrassing.Mum told me to get him on a front fastening harness to get some control( it turns their body when they pull and checks them)which I did and told Chris to stop using the extendable lead which he did and things got a lot better......fast forward 2 months ,the harness rubbed Dexter under a front leg so I needed to give him a break from it...off we went on the collar and lead....oh my goodness it was appalling,the harness had totally masked the extent of the pulling......I came home in tears again but with steely determination to get to grips with it.....
    I sat down and pulled all Pippas relevant articles together:
    Walking Your Labrador on a Loose Lead
    Establishing a Good Heel Position
    And there is a Clicker Training article too in the Clicker Training section.
    Dexter got no on lead walks from that point,he was just not given the opportunity to pull.i used to drive him to his walks and just let him out the boot off lead.Chris couldn't do this so we got him an easily walker head collar( I call this a halti but I'm not sure if that's correct?)so if he really had to be on his lead he wore that so he couldn't pull.
    We practiced step by step in different locations round the house and back garden....then the front garden,then used the golf club car park,literally did it small step by step and if he pulled me...we went back a step ......I trained a new command....Walk ....which means walk on my left with your lead loose as opposed the stricter Gundog heel where they are right on your leg( plus heel had come to mean 'it's ok to keep on pulling' as he was taking no notice of it)....was slow ,bit boring if I'm honest ,but it was really satisfying to see it work.hes our first dog and I am so under confident about whether I'm doing things right...I'm sure he'd have progressed quicker with someone else ,he's a bright dog ;D
    Once we could 'walk' about 20 steps without pulling,I stopped doing it as an 'exercise'....and relaxed .id have the clicker on my wrist and some treats ready and I'd say let's go and stride on out,counting to myself 25,if there was no pulling click and treat while he was trotting along on his loose lead....I'd keep increasing...before you know it you are up to 100, then 200 ,even now when he's walking along beside me I still have a clicker on( these days it's more to take advantage of any 'Leave It' practice opportunities that arise on a walk ;D)but every so often I will c&t for Good Walk Dex!lois,this worked for me,I've cobbled that bit together myself it's not something I read.he still wears his front fastening harness but I clip his lead to his collar now as we leave the house and if he forgets himself or I know we are going to walk past an area of high interest...like the 'cat bushes' or rabbity hill I make him sit and clip his lead back onto his harness and use his 'look at me 'command to get us past the exciting bit as he would still pull if a cat shot out and I am really struggling to train that out of him so I go back to my default position for most things......prevent it happening by making sure the opportunity isn't there ;D
    Crickey I've rambled,I'm so sorry,read Pippas articles,they are clear,concise and work ;D It wasn't easy for me to improve but we have....use the walking aids that are there to help,halt is ,harnesses,head collars,but don't use them as a substitute for good training.you never know what is going to happen....Dexter was on lead walks for a month after his tail op,I'd have hated to put a halti on him when he was out of sorts with everything else....it would have bee really testing for us all if we hadn't cracked it by then.
    Hope this helps ,good luck and best wishes
    Angela x

6. lois

lois Registered Users

Thankyou Angela I will read and digest its the opposite with Poppy she never pulls my husband trots along so well behaved, when he's taken her out people we normally meet ask if shes the same dog!! Partly my fault from not perservering from her being a puppy.