Hard core toys needed

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Elaine06, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Elaine06

Elaine06 Registered Users

Hi everyone...

Jack is now nearly 7 months and loves his toys but he destroys them in minutes...ropes, rubber, teddies. We use Kong's too and they have lasted but can any of you recommend anything else? Also any deterrents from chewing things which are not to be chewed?

Thanks

Elaine

2. Aitch

Aitch Registered Users

Kong teddy and kong wubble are the only ones that have last a reasonable amount of time for my lot. The wubble especially.

Elaine06 likes this.
  3. Johnny Walker

Johnny Walker Registered Users

I’ve never had to seek out anything stronger than a Kong myself but I good a deterrent is a good swim, a romp at the dog park or a good training session to put his mind asleep.

Elaine06 likes this.
  4. alschwahn

alschwahn Registered Users

Our boy no longer gets anything like ropes or soft toys because he destroys them. Honestly it sounds more like you need chew toys rather than play toys. Our dog has a Kong, Kong dumbell, and Kong bounzer. He also has a benebone and a freeze dried bone. We really like the Benebone, we got ours from Amazon. It sounds like your dog might be going through their second chewing phase. If you do get him soft toys, maybe you could try to keep them away and only give them to him during interactive, supervised play.

Elaine06 likes this.
  5. christina2634

christina2634 Registered Users

Our 5 year old only gets nylabones and toys like that. Anything else will be destroyed within minutes. Its a bummer when he chews up one of the puppy's toys. Labs are tough chewers, unfortunately.

Elaine06 likes this.
  6. Plum's mum

Plum's mum Registered Users

If you're in UK, Pets at Home do a rope ball, it's blue, yellow and black and costs a fiver. They also do a rope 'wand' (I don't know what else to call it) in the same colours just oblong shaped, which you can play tug with. My girl shreds toys in seconds but the above two items look untouched because they're so hardy.

(I came across the ball in a top 10 durable toys list for dogs).

My girl loves the ball.

Elaine06 and selina27 like this.
  7. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Coco is quite a chewer, but he is never left alone with his toys. Play is always between dog & person. We have made a number of tuggies from climbing rope - this is incredibly durable and a couple of years on, they look brand new and untouched.
    His Kong Squeezz ball is also pretty durable & it squeaks (still !) and it bounces funny so provides lots of entertainment.
    His favourite ball, and again, it is super-durable, is his Orbee Planet Dog ball he got for christmas (though he's managed to nibble some bits of the continents - I trimmed them before he got them off!) - he loves it, it's heavier than normal and boy does it bounce - a bit pricey, but worth it IMO.

8. Georgieboy

Georgieboy Registered Users

We've had great luck with the West Paw brand of toys, also Benebones for chewing are great.