Harness & Lead Help

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Donna811, Dec 8, 2017.

1. Donna811

Donna811 Registered Users

Hi All. My pup is 11 weeks old, she’s settled really well, we’re doing lots of training and she picks things up really quickly. When out and about I let her off the lead to practice recall which she’s doing really well with. However, when I have to return her to the lead she tries to escape, goes the opposite way etc. I’ve tried different treats to keep it interesting, run away from her so she chases me (which she does) but the minute the lead is in sight she avoids me like the plague! I give her lots of praise to make it a positive thing when I eventually get her back on the lead but wondered if anyone had any advice, experience they could pass on as I need to get on top of this now whilst I can still catch her!!

Thank you

2. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

Hi @Donna811 , pleased to hear things are going well with your puppy.
    When you are out with her do you do have some time with the lead on and some with the lead off? I think in this way they don't come to associate the lead going on as the end of fun, or at a certain point in the walk meaning going home.
    Do you have the book Total Recall?
    I learnt from that to put my hand on the collar before she gets the treat, which I found really useful. That way you could keep the lead out of sight until you are holding the collar.
    Hope this helps, I'm sure others will be along. She's still very little.

Donna811 likes this.
  3. Donna811

Donna811 Registered Users

Hi @selina27, yes I know she’s still very young. It’s just a worry when she has other ideas rather than going on the lead! Yes she does have both on and off lead time. I do offer treats when on the lead if she ‘leaves’ something I don’t want her eating for example and I don’t rush her on the lead.

I haven’t got Total Recall, perhaps that’s one for my Christmas list!

You make a very good point, I’ll leave the lead in my pocket until I have hold of her harness and see if that improves things.

Thank you.

4. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

play with her in the house first. When she comes near you, clip the lead on, praise/treat then release her again and play some more. You could also clip the lead on and play a really fun game before releasing her. Move it to the garden. Soon she will realise, that most of the time the lead goes on, you release her again, so it doesn't indicate end of fun.