Harness or collar for lab puppy

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Buddy, Jan 1, 2019.

?

Harness or collar

1. Harness

8 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Collar

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Buddy

Buddy Registered Users

Hello out gorgeous cheeky chops can start going out for walks from
    Saturday , can’t wait as we’ve been out for a walk where I’ve carried him most days since we had Buddy and he’s getting rather heavy !
    He’s growing at a fast rate and wonder if it’s better at first to just have a collar and lead or if there are any recommended harnesses that will grow with him for a while as the first fleece lined harness bought mainly to keep him warm in the garden and stop him disappearing under the bushes at night had already been outgrown !
    I also like the idea of starting without him Being on a lead but we visited my mum recently and she had a much bigger garden than ours and once he was ‘free’ he wasn’t overly keen on responding or listening so worried if in an open space he would run off

2. Michael A Brooks

Michael A Brooks Registered Users

Hi @Buddy stick to a lead and harness. The harness is easier on the dog's neck. The perfect fit harness, and the Haqihana Harness are worth looking at. There isn't a harness that you can buy and take from puppy size to fully grown adult.

Please read the following article.

https://www.thelabradorsite.com/why-your-labrador-puppy-needs-a-harness/

You need to keep the puppy on lead until you have a reliable recall.

Buddy likes this.
  3. Michael A Brooks

Michael A Brooks Registered Users

Buddy likes this.
  4. Thunder*

Thunder* Registered Users

I really recommend the perfect fit harness. I bought a harness from petshop (unsure type) and he hated it. We recently did a training session and bought the perfect fit harness and he is so much better with this and happier too.

Buddy likes this.
  5. Chewies_mum

Chewies_mum Registered Users

We use a harness as Chewie will still pull when he sees other dogs or animals that he wants to chase. He started out using a cheap mesh harness and is now using a Ruffwear Front Range, which we are really happy with. It has thick, padded straps as well as front and back attachment points. He seems happier in it too. It has a lot of strap to let out as well, so hopefully this one will last into adulthood.

Buddy likes this.