Harv's first venture in agility

Discussion in 'Agility & Flyball' started by UncleBob, Jul 8, 2016.

1. UncleBob

UncleBob Moderator Forum Supporter

Well, we finally bit the bullet and went to an agility class ...

The class is run by the same people that we use for obedience training, flyball, dog gym and dog walking so Harv was already familiar with the trainers and with the majority of the other dog's and owners that were there. I think this helped to lower his excitement levels a little (he wasn't calm, not by any stretch of the imagination, but slightly less hyper than usual ;) ).

What may have raised his excitement levels a little was the fact that I had persuaded OH that she should be the one that works with Harv when doing agility (to help develop their bond more as I've done most of the training and walking).

Well, Harv has a fantastic time. Beginner dogs can often struggle when first faced with these weird pieces of equipment and what we expect them to do with them. The biggest challenge with Harv was trying to slow him down as he raced through them! We had a few comments about how easily he cleared some of the jumps - Harv was like the demented love-child of Tigger and Taz of Tasmania :rolleyes:

OH also enjoyed it but to a slightly lesser extent as it was quite a challenge keeping up with him and 'steering' him in the right direction (as it was his first session he did most parts 'on lead') :)

All in all it was great fun and I think we'll be going back for more (and I'm sure it will be a little easier for OH once we reach the 'off lead' stage).

2. Naya

Naya Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Sounds like Harv really enjoyed himself :)
    Harley loves doing agility each week and it's really helped strengthen her ability to sit and do nothing whilst others are in the arena.
    Look forward to hearing more :)

3. niclibrarylady

niclibrarylady Registered Users

I am so glad you had so much fun . Poppy & I go to an agility class . Its fab for building bonds as she has to watch and follow me. We both come home shattered but happy

4. Oberon

Oberon Moderator Forum Supporter

Sounds fab!!!! :)

5. snowbunny

snowbunny Administrator Forum Supporter

Sounds great! When we were on our agility holiday, J was handling Shadow, but he kept getting his body language wrong, so Elaine ran a line with Shadow to show J how the dog would respond to clearer body language. Afterwards, she said, "Wow, he's fast!!". I don't think she expected a Lab to be so speedy :)

drjs@5 likes this.