Having friends for dinner

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Petrina, Nov 2, 2014.

1. Petrina

Petrina Registered Users

At meal times at home we either time them so Bailey knack erred! And sits nicely in crate in kitchen, whilst we eat in dining room, this week gave been letting him wander in kitchen whilst we eating, we keep saying off, when he comes to table and after 20 times! He decides it's not worth itx
    On Saturday I have friends coming for dinner, all lovely, all dog owners, (greyhounds and lazy ex shine dog ( who doesn't know he's a dog!)
    Thus is a special birthday, these are my best friends but....... I can't keep bailey in his crate all evening!
    So can I delay his 7 o'clock feed, and put the whole lit in kongs and give him them through the evening, ( he usually settles about 10,
    Usually when friends gave been lately we sit drinking in kitchen and he usually sits in crate (door open) chewing stuff!
    I don't want it to spoil the evening, how to be best prepared?

Thanking in advance xxx

2. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Re: Having friends for dinner

At meal times, we have ours at the same time as Harley (around 7/8pm). If we have guests, we give her tea in kongs/kong wobbler as it takes longer. Have you tried training 'bed' when you are eating. Once Harley has finished her tea and we are still eating, she now goes and lies on her bed until we release her.
    I trained this by getting her to lie on her bed and treating when she stayed there. If she got off her bed, we would guide her back there again and again if needed. It only took a few days so might be worth trying over the next few days :)