Having to coax him to eat

Discussion in 'Labrador Health' started by Aimee Lawrence, Dec 16, 2016.

1. Aimee Lawrence

Aimee Lawrence Registered Users

Evening everyone! This morning when I served him his breakfast which he normally wolf's down he sniffed and then ignored it. Then when my partner got up he was really lethargic and went to lie in his crate throughout the morning. By the time I got home he had perked up a bit and seems more like his normal self but still fairly reserved. This evening in an attempt to et him to eat I put fresh food down, no interest, then soaked it in the wet food, no interest. Then soaked some in natural yoghurt, no interest. I eventually tried putting some on a spoon for him and got him to eat maybe 50g but other than that he hadn't had anything.
    He is showing interest in treats and had some pork tongue from my partner this morning but that is it.
    If he is still like this in the morning would you suggest a vet visit? If he wasn't OK energy wise and going for wees and poos I'd have taken him today. Could it just be an off day for him? He is 14 weeks old today.

2. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Hi Aimee, I would personally phone the vet as this is not how I would expect a 14 week old puppy to be. Is he drinking? Could he have eaten something he shouldn't? Poor little thing. Please let us know how he is. xx

Aimee Lawrence likes this.
  3. Aimee Lawrence

Hi, thanks for replying. The vets are closed now but are open at 9 tomorrow morning. I'll get my partner to ring and take him first thing while I'm at work. He has been drinking but I'd say less than normal. Or maybe I'm just watching him more! I don't think he could've eaten something he shouldn't, he goes into the garden and most of the time will bring a clump of my grass in but that's about it. His poos are normal,would that change if he'd eaten something he shouldn't have?

4. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

There should be an emergency vet you can call and talk to 24 hours. I've used the service several times :)

5. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Most have a on call vet or a deputizing service who you can speak to. I would ring

6. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

Did you take his temperature? If it's normal there still might be cause for concern. If it's high you'll feel better about contacting the Vet right away. Taking his temperature will help the Vet. Not eating once in a while would bother me with my Lab but coupled with lethargy I would worry even more. They don't all eat like garbage cans but I think most Labs do.

7. Aimee Lawrence

We took him to the vets thus morning as the emergency line said to let him sleep and see how he was this morning. Hadn't eaten his breakfast so we took him straight there and nothing visibly wrong with him. They don't think he's eaten anything but have done some tests. I've just given him his lunch though and he Wolfed it down so I'm at a loss about what it was/is but hopefully he'll have his dinner. He's definitely back to his normal bitey hyper self this afternoon which is great to see :) I'll let you all know how he goes but fingers crossed it was a bug. The vet said he'll ring if anything shows up and to come back tomorrow if he still won't eat.

MF, charlie, Snowshoe and 2 others like this.
  8. Aimee Lawrence

Just an update, Thor is still hit and miss on food so hes back with the vet today. He was absolutely fine in himself yesterday though and spent ages running round with my parents dog. But, their dog has just been sick this morning. Could it be a sickness bug that he could have passed on yesterday? He hasnt been sick at all, just the not eating much, but like humans does it present itself in different ways?