He does amaze me sometimes

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Lisa, Jan 12, 2014.

1. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Making up for the butter and the interrupted sleep last night.....

I have been working a bit on getting Simba to sit/stay when I go to the door to let someone in, to forestall the happy leaping paw-on-chest greeting that he usually gives.

So I have done some training this week, a couple sessions or so a day about 3 of the days.

I have put him in a sit, touched the doorknob, opened the door, opened the door and walked outside and come in, opened the door, rang doorbell and came in, all the while treating for a good stay, lengthening the time but not by too much.

He's done very well at this, but I wanted to get Mark and Sarah to start ringing the doorbell before they came in, to practice with someone else besides myself.

This morning the doorbell rang, and I thought, well, let's see what happens. So I put him in a sit, told him to stay, and opened the door.

Outside was a tiny tot of about 5 years and her mom, collecting bottles for a new playground. This took a bit of prompting from the mom, so we were standing there at the open door for a few minutes while she explained everything.

Finally they were done, I shut the door, and there was Simba, still sitting there, tip of tail quivering back and forth on the rug.

Wow!! Treats and praise!! Even with the open door and the temptation of a little child, he was rock solid! :D

I'm always underestimating him.... :)

2. Maggie68

Maggie68 Registered Users

Re: He does amaze me sometimes

Thats just great, and well done you for getting the training just right, Good dog Simba x

3. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

That's brilliant Lisa.
    Well done you and your boy!!
    Definitely a jackpot for that one 8)

4. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

He really is a good dog. He just needs to know what he's meant to do. You're doing such a brilliant job with him - it takes good training and good timing as well :)

5. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Well thanks, Rachel, but honestly I think sometimes I'm just holding him back. These little episodes just show me that he is capable of a lot more than I give him credit for. It's funny how we are still figuring each other out, even after 6 months!

6. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

No, not at all, you are doing a wonderful job and have come so far in a short time. You've really turned his life around.

7. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Lisa,he is greedy for sure,but he is wonderfully wonderful too!i am very envious ;D I have got a good 'quiet 'to stop barking at the doorbell ....and a sit stay on his bed if there are 2 of us at home but I haven't got a reliable sit stay with an open door....you have inspired me to go back to this !thanks and very well done x

8. jade805

jade805 Registered Users

My poor nervous us girl ( or maybe I have trained it without realising) will run to her crate when she hears any sound at the door. Last night when hubby came in later and left the lights off she had a little growl until she saw it was him. ( must admit he had been watching football so had his slurry voice on :p)

9. Dexter

Was he watching Leeds Jade?Chris has got his head in his hands today! ;D

10. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Well done Simba, I definitely need to work on this too!

Angela, my hubby was in a gruff last night and refused to watch the football show. Being a bit confused I looked up the results and seen how badly Leeds done :0 no further explanation needed!

11. jade805

jade805 Registered Users

Yes, Leeds! It must have been an extra long game too. Left at 12 and didnt get back until 8!

12. Dexter

It's funny that isn't it ::) no wonder Amy was growling at him ! ;D

13. NNorris13

NNorris13 Registered Users

That's amazing Lisa!

I totally agree with you about underestimating our dogs. I remind myself each day that Dexter isn't soft.

Using what you done though, I'm going to start trying to give this one a go ;D

14. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

That is very impressive - good boy!

No way I can get Charlie to do that yet. I can get him to sit while I open the glass hall door and close it behind me to open the front - and he'll stay sitting while I deal with the visitor. But I most definitely still have a barrier between him and the open front door.

15. David

David Registered Users

Very good! I am in awe!

16. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Lisa that is brilliant and you have got me going with that training too, we are still working on it ::) I will get my boys to go and ring the doorbell, now why didn't I think of that ::) Thanks Lisa. xxx

17. MadMudMob

MadMudMob Registered Users

Well done to both of you [​IMG]

18. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

That's seriously impressive!! Go Simba ;D

19. Jen

Jen Registered Users

Brilliant Simba and well done Lisa.

We don't have a door bell but obviously people knock. My two bark but they will stop when told and sit but then I have to slide through a gap into the porch. The porch door is a stable door and the top half always open so they would race and jump up barking at whoever is on the other side which is possibly a bit off putting. ::)

Nobody other than strangers knock its basically open house here and if they walk in unannounced they have to expect to get covered in Labrador. I suppose I could ask them to start knocking to help train the dogs.

Carry on the great work Lisa.

Jen :D

20. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Lisa, thats fantastic progress , good boy Simba ;D ;D ;D
    Have to admit that I dont have that problem with the big lad, he doesnt even get up from his bed if someone comes to the door ::) however , a small scruffy mopster more than makes up for his total lack of interest ;)