Heartbreaking moment

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Nicki G, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Nicki G

Nicki G Registered Users

some kind advise would be greatfully received... we have a gorgeous fox red lab, and after my 6 year old daughter being admitted to hospital 3 times in the last 12 months with respiratory problems, it now transpires that she is allergic to our beautiful dog.

We are really unsure what to do next, we know we have to find our lab a new forever home but the thought of a rescue centre and a kennel makes me cry as she has never been left and the separation anxiety would be unbearable.

Does anyone know someone I could contact who loves labs and could possible help?

Thank you

2. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Many rescues use foster homes, not kennels. Hopefully you could find one of them.

Sorry to hear about your daughter :(

3. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Hi Nicki,

Such a terribly sad time for you and your family,I know we can all feel for you.
    I know you have been in touch with your Breeder,often they can help in situations like this ,I hope this is the case here.
    I understand you live in the U.K. I don't have any personal contact with this organisation :

https://www.facebook.com/EastMidlandsLabradorRescue

But I understand that they are supported by several of our members and I've donated to some of their fundraisers.It may be worth a try?They seem very caring and committed to the safety and care of the Rescues they take on.
    Several members have dogs that they have rescued so they may have some experiences to share.I wish you the very best of luck
    Best Wishes
    Angela x

SwampDonkey likes this.
  4. Jyssica

Jyssica Registered Users

So sorry to hear this, It must be heartbreaking. Where are you based?

5. Nicki G

Nicki G Registered Users

Thank you

6. Nicki G

Nicki G Registered Users

Thank you Jessica, we are in Cambridgeshire

7. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

I'm so sorry to hear this - how sad for your whole family.

I'm from the US so not sure how UK rescues work, but from my experience in the US, YOU can many times actually be the foster home for your own dog. In fact, rescue groups love this. If you need her to leave the home immediately for your daughter's health, this may not be an option. But if she can stay for a while longer, it would mean an easier time for her and also that you could be involved in the choice of where she goes, which may help your family to better deal with this emotionally.

Also most rescues in the US (again, I don't know about the UK) don't use kennels, they use foster homes. Also look for one that does at minimum home checks and ideally both home checks and a one month follow up check. I did this with all my fosters and it always made me feel reassured that I'd made the right choice. One of my first fosters just turned 17 years old (she was with me at 3-6 months old) and it still makes my day to hear about her. :)

8. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

The Blue Cross run a wonderful scheme , where the dog stays in its own home until a new owner is found , if you contact them , they can advise you further . I am so very sorry to read of your problem , very sad time for you .

9. Plum's mum

Plum's mum Registered Users

I live in East Sussex and spoke recently to a woman who co-ordinates Labrador rescue in the south east. They also have the lab stay in the owners home until they find a suitable owner. She was a lab breeder and really knowledgable about labs - gave me lots of helpful advice and knowledge about caring for my pup. If I had to go down the same path as you I would choose Labrador rescue.

Best of luck in a very difficult situation.

10. pup-pup

pup-pup Registered Users

why not call the breeder? They often have people looking for dogs.

Emily_BabbelHund likes this.
  11. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

Actually this is a very good point, not only for this reason but because good breeders usually have a clause in their contracts that if for any reason you cannot keep your dog, she must go back to the breeder. So it would be a good idea to check out what your contract says.

12. Nicki G

Nicki G Registered Users

Thank you everyone, I have been in contact with the breeder and am waiting to hear back.
    It's very reassuring to hear that we could keep her until a suitable home can be found to cause as little distress as possible. She will have no idea why a loving home suddenly decided to rehome her and it breaks our hearts. We have 2 young children and she is brilliant with them, the perfect pet, very calm and very well trained - my 3 year old walks her so it's going to be very hard.
    Since my husband and I made the final decision last night I have had 4 friends and family members say they will take her (she is very lovable) but I want to make sure its the right home for her where she will be loved and well looked after....

13. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Hi Nicki. I'm sorry you found the forum under such sad circumstances. We often hear claims of rambunctious puppies having to be rehomed "because of allergies", when it's simply the fact that the owners aren't prepared for the challenges of a puppy, but it really sounds as if you've tried your best for your dog. I suppose you've discounted allergy medication as a solution - I'm sure that would have been high up on your list of things to consider.
    I hope you find a solution where you're able to keep up to date with what she's up to. I'm sure if you are able to keep her until you find the perfect home, it'll be a far easier transition for her than for you.

14. Nicki G

Nicki G Registered Users

Yes we have tried everything and it's from the advice of the Dr we have come to this decision... we love her, she comes to work with me and runs alongside me everyday, as my friend said it's going to affect me more than the rest of the family as she really is my dog.
    Our daughter has been gradually getting worse even after lots of different inhalers and medication. The consultant did say she may get an immunity after a few years but we have decided this isn't fair. The comments today about not going to kennels have helped set my mind at rest a bit. Thank you

15. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Hi @Nicki G
    So sorry to hear about this.
    I guess if a family or friend adopted your dog at least you wouldn't lose her completely.
    Would there be any possibility of a kind of "joint ownership" where she just didn't live with you but you could be around for walks/running and still be part of her life?
    That might be even tougher than surrendering her though.......:(

Pippa made a list of UK lab rescues on her website which might help if this is the route you need to take
    http://www.thelabradorsite.com/rescue-societies/

jac x

16. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Hi Nicki,
    How old is your girl? What is she like being left for 2-3 hours? Only asking as we have been considering getting another dog and we have fostered a few labs/pointers. Also, I know of a few other owners looking for another fox red.

Dexter likes this.
  17. silvania

silvania Registered Users

Sorry for your daughter. :( It is extremely sad that you face separation. Try some other methods rather than making your lab in a kennel house.

18. MF

MF Registered Users

So sorry - devastating.

Is it possible that a friend takes her so that you can test for certain she is making your daughter sick? You might find out that after all she's allergic to something else. Perhaps trial separation for two or three months?

Emily_BabbelHund likes this.