Heel walking - how to extend time/make Louis continue in heel position?

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by andreasjuuls, Apr 5, 2015.

1. andreasjuuls

andreasjuuls Registered Users

With click and treat every 10 seconds Louis can walk at my heel for 30-60 seconds but when distracted he leaves the heel position :(

How to make him continue in heel position until released?

He is 5 months

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Re: Heel walking - how to extend time/make Louis continue in heel position?

It's simply a case of slowly extending the time. Increase the time between C&Ts gradually, although sometimes make it a very short time or even stream treats, so he never knows when the next treat is coming. At five months, you can't expect him to be staying in a heel indefinitely until he's released. If he's off the lead, make sure you release him to go and play regularly, so he gets rewarded like that, too, and doesn't think of being in a heel as too restrictive.

3. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Is this an off lead heel? What is he getting distracted by? Just the garden etc?

If it's an off lead heel and he is wandering away, then you are asking for too much, or your treats aren't good enough (it's always one or both of those).

4. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=andreasjuuls link=topic=10469.msg154556#msg154556 date=1428240376]
    With click and treat every 10 seconds Louis can walk at my heel for 30-60 seconds but when distracted he leaves the heel position :(
    [/quote]

By the way, your click is a release, so you are actually only doing 10 seconds at heel, repeated 3 times.....

5. andreasjuuls

[quote author=JulieT link=topic=10469.msg154563#msg154563 date=1428243182]
    Is this an off lead heel? What is he getting distracted by? Just the garden etc?

If it's an off lead heel and he is wandering away, then you are asking for too much, or your treats aren't good enough (it's always one or both of those).
    [/quote]

He gets distracted by everything. Birds other people smells etc

Yeah probably need to make the treats more delicious

It's off the lead heel yes

Would it be good to practice at the end of our walks/plays? He seems more attentive and lower on energy in those situations

6. andreasjuuls

[quote author=JulieT link=topic=10469.msg154565#msg154565 date=1428243294]
    [quote author=andreasjuuls link=topic=10469.msg154556#msg154556 date=1428240376]
    [/quote]

By the way, your click is a release, so you are actually only doing 10 seconds at heel, repeated 3 times.....
    [/quote]

So what you are saying is that I should only treat once and that should be at the end of the heeling?

How about rewarding when he comes to my heel upon request and then at release?

I extend yet vary the time from initial treat to the release treat?

I then Eventually add a release cue