Hello from a new lab owner!

Discussion in 'Introductions & Saying Hello' started by Nlaw11, Nov 12, 2023.

1. Nlaw11

Nlaw11 Registered Users

Hi,
    We are 5 months into our journey with out lab pup Amber who is now 7 months old. We've had a cocker before but this is our first lab! I won't lie its seriously hard work and like many posts I've read for the morale support I have moments where I wonder what we've done so all help gratefully received! She's bright and clever and good a lot of the time and is great with the kids. As her primary care provider I seem to be the one that bears the brunt of the bad behaviour!

Mostly it's jumping up on walks and mouthing/clamping my arm very hard or nipping my legs when she brings a toy to me. I think we are very very slowly getting better with help from a trainer and learning the triggers for the jumping up but it's hard and I'm covered in bruises! I've read lots of posts from folk in similar situations so hoping it's a lab stage and not that I'm rubbish at training her. Trying to increase her mental exercise to see if this helps but any messages from those who've made it through this stage would be good to hear and / or any advice! I cam see the potential she has to be a wonderful dog but worry that I might not get her there because of something I'm doing wrong. I try to remind myself of the positives and what she does do well but its exhausting being chomped on! Thank you, loving the forum too!

2. Monty's human

Monty's human Registered Users

Hi - how are things going now? We are in a similar position with 11 month-old Monty. He seems to get excited/frustrated on walks, then jumps at us biting our arms - similarly we're covered in bruises. We try to avoid triggers (other dogs & people) when on walks, but if we see him about to jump, get in quickly with a 'sit'. This seems to be working - we're reinforcing it a lot during lead walks and giving him big treats. We've got to a point where he jumps, but doesn't tend to bite as he goes into a sit. Hopefully it's just a phase, but a very challenging one!

3. Nlaw11

Nlaw11 Registered Users

Hi, it's hard isnt it!! Some slow progress I think, she's embraced her retriever status now so off lead time does a good bit of that which has helped. It's mostly excitement so often at the start of a walk though still some random moments happen. NYE was particularly full on to the point I cried on another labrador owner who very kindly listened, empathised and said he had been there and it will get better in time! She's been much calmer in general the last couple of weeks though has come into heat today so not sure if it is due to that rather than a general calming down. I'm still bruised but it has been a little better these last few weeks. Hope the 'sit' with Monty is working and in a year or 2 we are both saying ' remember how hard it was...so much better now' thank you for your reply !

Sammie@labforumHQ likes this.