Hello from Canberra Australia

Discussion in 'Introductions & Saying Hello' started by pat foley, Feb 29, 2016.

1. pat foley

pat foley Registered Users

HI everyone , I am very excited to say that my wife and i will be welcoming a chocolate lab puppy into our home in 3 weeks time. Her name is Gypsy Rose. She wont actually be our pet as we have volunteered to raise her as a companion dog for all the people at my wifes workplace, Samantha works at a nursing home and their last companion dog Nara passed away in october last year and everyone there has been feeling her loss ever since. So if anyone has any tips on training a dog for this very special position please dont hesitate in passing them on. Thanks in advance...

Newbie Lab Owner likes this.
  2. pat foley

this is gypsy , not me

3. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Hi and welcome to you and Gypsy from me and Juno, my 20 month old chocolate girl. I have no experience of training a dog who will be a companion dog in a nursing home. Can you tell us what Gypsy will be expected to do in the home on a daily basis as I'm sure members will then be able to offer lots of advice as we have a puppy walker for the Guide dogs for the Blind and a PAT dog (Pets as Therapy) team.

4. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

Welcome to the board. How old will Gypsy be when she is allowed to live at the nursing home? Is she being selected by a group who does therapy dog work? I'm just thinking of my puppy, who is now a good dog at the nursing home and we visited my Aunt yesterday. But when he was little he was, in his Grandma's words, a Holy Terror. It can be a shock going from an older well behaved dog to a puppy.

I love the idea though. My Aunt's home used to have two cats but now only birds. Both my Mum's and my Aunt's home have regular therapy animal visits and encourage family to bring well behaved pets on visits. Amazingly Oban now fits into the well behaved category, will wonders never cease. ;)

5. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Ah welcome to the Forum,Gypsy Rose sounds a very special puppy xxx
    Do you get any formal support to help with her training ? X

6. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Hello and welcome to you and Gypsy Rose.
    Quite a challenge (and pressure) on this little one to be calm and well behaved.
    Just wondering where you are based - doesn't sound like the UK although it would be nice to find it was!
    jac

7. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Thank you @Snowshoe
    That will be Australia then.

8. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Hi Pat, and welcome to the forum - look forward to hearing all about Gypsy Rose :)

9. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Hello and welcome Pat from me and my two dogs, to you and Gypsy Rose :)

10. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Hello and welcome to the forum from me and my two, Willow and Shadow. I don't have any experience with service dogs, sorry, but I imagine you'll want to be capturing all the calm behaviour and rewarding her for that, right from the get-go. I think it's @Boogie (who is our Guide Dog puppy walker) who says that you should imagine all the cute behaviours your puppy is doing and think about whether you want an adult dog doing that. Encourage those you do, discourage those you don't.

We like pictures here, so when you have some more, don't forget to share! :)

11. mandyb

mandyb Registered Users

Hi and welcome.

I used to have a collie x springer called Gypsy, she was the most obedient, well behaved, dog I've ever had. Hope your Gypsy fulfills all your expectations. :)

12. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Hi and welcome to the forum :) We are in Canberra too.

Teaching not jumping up and also lying quietly around people would be my priorities.

I'm sure all the residents are looking forward to meeting Gypsy :)

13. Emily

Emily Registered Users

Hi and welcome from me and my choccy girl Ella in Melbourne :)

Sorry, I definitely can't give any training advice for Gypsy as I'm currently fumbling my way through trying to train Ella just to be a well behaved pet :)

Looking forward to following your journey :)

14. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Hello, from me and my hooligan Choc boy Charlie.

Charlie says who wants calm and boring? Those residents in the nursing home will enjoy a bouncy, energectic, very full of fun, choccie pup no end! :D

15. pat foley

wow what a great welcome from everyone, thanks . Gypsy will start spending time at the nursing home from about 6 months of age [ my wife , Samatha , works nights there and gypsy will be able to go with her to get used to the place. She will then begin to be introduced to the residents a little at a time. i was wondering what the best time of day to do this would be , i suppose i will have to see when she is most relaxed or most active, We want her to be very calm and relaxed with the residents any tips wouuld be great

16. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

They are generally craziest in the evening, like about 6 or 7pm. So I'd go for late morning or mid afternoon for visits. But you'll get to know Gypsy's energy levels throughout the day and will be able to make the right call :)

Dexter likes this.
  17. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Hi Pat welcome from Hattie 8 years and rescue boy Charlie 5 years. Hattie has just passed her assessment to be as Pets as Therapy dog (PAT), we did our first visit last week to a Hospice. Sorry I don't have anything to add to the great advice you have been given but I wish you the best of luck as Gypsy will bring a lot of happiness to the residents which I witnessed myself and it's just lovely :)

Please keep us posted with your progress. xx Helen

18. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Hi @pat foley Thought you might find the list below useful as a guide to the requirements for a PAT dog in the UK as you can ensure that those areas are well covered in training plans. I think I also read previously on the site (it's been changed a bit recently) that dogs mustn't jump, paw people or be uncomfortable in new environments. Jump seems obvious and paw gave me pause to think but of course a paw can leave quite a nasty scratch on delicate skin i.e. the young or the elderly. Hope their list is useful for you

About your Dog:

1. My dog is at least 9 months old (required)

2. I have owned my dog for at least 6 months (required)

3. My dog walks on a loose lead wearing a collar (required)

4. My dog loves being fussed (required)

5. My dog takes titbits gently (required)

6. My dog is not worried by sudden noises (required)

7. My dog is always under control when on a lead (required)

8. My dog is happy to be groomed (required)

9. My dog is currently fit and well (required)

charlie likes this.
  19. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Hello and welcome to the forum, from Poppy and me in Germany!

My old Labrador, Bones, was a therapy dog at an old people's home here in Germany. I didnt even start taking him there until he was about 10, as he was too exuberant before then. But as he got older he calmed down and became a wonderful therapy dog.

charlie likes this.
  20. charlie

charlie Registered Users

@MaccieD is absolutely correct, Hattie had to pass all of the above before being accepted as a PAT dog. Definitely NO jumping up. I read an article that said dogs make the best PAT dogs from the age of 6 years of age, as @Karen said they have calmed down and become sensible enough for this kind of gentle work. I wouldn't have thought of taking Hattie when she was young, far too bouncy :D

@pat foley it looks like Gypsy is going to be more of an Assistance Dog so completely different to a PAT dog. Are you getting specific training to accomplish this? :)