Help!! Constant indoor accidents!

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by MrsB, Nov 30, 2014.

1. MrsB

MrsB Registered Users

Hope someone can offer some shred of advice (or hope!). Our puppy (14 weeks on Tuesday) is constantly peeing in the house.
    She has had an upset stomach for a few days and yesterday we took her for a 2nd trip to the vets where they gave her an anti inflammatory injection and an antibiotic injection. We weren't allowed to feed her 1pm yday until 1pm today.
    Since we got home from the vets at about 4pm yday she has had about 10 accidents indoors including 2 in a brand new bed we bought yesterday.
    In the last month I think we have had 4 accidents so as you can imagine this is driving us crazy.
    She has been drinking a lot but why is she having so many accidents and making no effort to get outside. She had gotten so good at racing to the door when she needed to go out.
    Any help appreciated!
    Jen

2. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Re: Help!! Constant indoor accidents!

Ok ,I don't know enough to give you a lot of advice but I can tell you are really worried so I just wanted to write before moving on the boards xxx
    what exactly did the vet diagnose to prescribe the medication you have mentioned?
    Is the drinking a lot unusual,something different?i guess that could be a reaction to the meds though or she's really thirsty through dehydrating with the diarohea ....so then it's good she is drinking x
    She is only a pupster so is probably totally overwhelmed by her tummy being so upset so any toilet training I am sure will have been forgotten....I would go right back to the early days and be taking her out really frequently to eliminate where you have been showing her and if she is still terribly upset tomorrow with no improvement I'd be back at the vets.
    Please let's us know how she is and I hope she settled comfortably tonight x

3. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Yes, I would go back to basics, she'll soon re-cotton on :)

Also, look at what you clean up with. Most floor cleaners smell of wee to pups. Simple solution is the best :)

4. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Sorry to hear your pup is unwell :'(
    I agree with the others that going back to basics and vet if this doesn't help.
    Hope she gets better soon :)

5. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

Did the anti-inflammatory injection have any steroids in it? They often do.

I'm told that one of the very common side effects of steroids is losing control of urination (and peeing a LOT). Pongo had an anti-inflammatory which was steroid-based, and we had accidents in the house even though he was perfectly well house-trained and much older than your pup.

Some dogs react more than others. Maybe your pup (like Pongo) is one that reacts strongly to steroids?

Rosie

6. MrsB

MrsB Registered Users

Thank you so much everyone.
    She has just been up for an hour. We went outside every 20mins and rewarded her for weeing.
    Stayed in the kitchen so it was easier if there were accidents - but none!! :)
    She ate her food well, put water down for 10mins rather than just leaving it down and she had a normal drink (no surprise when she's had 6 bowls of water today!!).
    I'm not sure about steroids in the anti inflammatory injection - but maybe!! Will ask next time we are at vets -really hoping that is a long way in the future!
    Thanks again, feeling much better after all your help and a good hour with Ruby.
    Jen

7. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Ah things sound greatly improved and you sound more cheerful ......6 bowls of water is a lot......I'd put a call in to the vet if it was me just to tell them what she's doing and what do they think...

8. MrsB

MrsB Registered Users

She is much better today. This morning she went to the toilet outside as normal and Hubby has reported no accidents since I went to work. She is just drinking her normal amount too so I'm hoping the drugs effects and lack off food has worn off and she is well on the way to recovery.
    Thank goodness.

9. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

Good news! Pongo sends licks to Ruby. ;)

10. MrsB

MrsB Registered Users

Thanks! :)

11. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Good news :D hopefully she's on the mend now :)