HELP!! Max can open doors....

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Weensta, May 23, 2014.

1. Weensta

Weensta Registered Users

Max is now eleven months and when we go out we have been leaving him the hallway with his bed, water and a kong and this had been working really well until we came home yesterday and he had opened all the doors. Living room, kitchen, study and the cloakroom and true to puppy style all the toilet roll had been dragged around. He still sleeps in his crate at night so this morning I had to put him in that as I had to pop out for half hour. Somebody suggested that he would need retraining so that he does not do this - I have no idea how to start this and would be grateful for any ideas :)

2. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Re: HELP!! Max can open doors....

Have you got lever door handles? It might be easier to just change to a door handle he can't manipulate?.....

3. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Oops ;) clever boy! Might be worth changing the door handles as suggested?

4. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Or get baby locks?

5. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

You stinker Max , sorry but you did paint such a picture , couldnt help but giggle :)

6. Jen

Jen Registered Users

Well done max . ;D

Sorry that's no help and I know it's a problem you need to sort out but you've got to admit its quite impressive. ;D

Could you leave him in the kitchen or another room so you could put a baby gate on the door as well as shutting the door? You could put a baby gate on all the doors leading off the hall but that might be a bit excessive not to mention expensive. ::)

I don't know how you would train him to not do it when you are out. To me it's one of those problems that you need to prevent him being able to do rather than train not to. Somebody might know how though.

7. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I've just ordered a load of child proof locks to stop Charlie opening his pen and all the kitchen cupboards. They sell them for doors too. I think it would be time consuming to train him not to do it when you aren't there.

8. Mollly

Mollly Registered Users

We have put small bolts up high on all the doors.

My last dog used to let herself in and out of rooms. It can actually be an asset (when they are older)

9. Nicmorris

Nicmorris Registered Users

I'm sorry but I had to laugh as it brought back memories of our last dog who used to do this ;D
    We couldn't stop her doing it so had to change the door handles so they had to be lifted up rather than pushed down to be opened!
    Took me months to remember which way I had to open the door! ::)

10. Edp

Edp Registered Users

Mt brother had a bonkers Weimaraner that did the same. He did the same as you Nicmorris turned the handles upside down. It used to drive me crazy in his house but at last Oscar was safe :)

11. Weensta

Weensta Registered Users

Thanks for all your replies! He is a 'not so little' tinker!!

I haven't checked forum for a few days but I am in the process of changing the door handles so they have to be lifted! It has confused Max somewhat and also the kids lol ;)