Help meeeeee

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Joandrudy, Oct 30, 2017.

1. Joandrudy

Joandrudy Registered Users

Hi there, we’re new I’m just posting for a little bit of advice or reassurance or something as I’m loosing the will to live!

We have a 7 month old boy who is very much a welcome addition to our family, but walking him is to be quite frank an absolute chore!

my daughter and I (she’s 2) used to take him to the local park every day for a really good run about they both loved it.

But since he has turned 6 Months he started ignoring my recall completely to the point I’m nervous about it. I’m sure those of you with small children understand it’s hard to have an eye on a child and an ignorant dog at the same time, so it bacame unmanageable.

So instead we’ve been taking him on walks through the day instead, my daughter generally sits in the pram because her little legs won’t go far, but now his ignorance towards myself has become worse and the pulling on the lead is painful! Today he nearly pulled the pram over and I’ve got a bruised wrist!

I understand he’s only young and still learning, but how can I make him understand this kind of behaviour is not acceptable? He completely understands what he’s doing with my husband he’s fine and an absolute angel, but to me he’s a little sod! Have I taught him somehow these behaviours?

Any way thanks people xxxxx

2. Tammy Cooke

Tammy Cooke Registered Users

Hi there
    Sorry to here about this new problem? Frustrating I know. Been there bought the T-Shirt, book and signed autographs

Joking aside.....
    How do you recall him, what do you use to recall him and do you treat him on returning abruptly?
    How much attention do you pay him on the walk, as you say you walk with your 2 year old, I know my dog was a bugger when I ignored her or didn't give her my full attention, she went elsewhere for attention and something else to do.
    It might be worth getting a training lead and practicing recall with just you and him gradually increasing the slack on the lead. Perhaps change your recall wording. The treat for recalling needs to be bigger than anything else he is interested in, once he starts improving the treats can be adjusted.
    As regards pulling have you tried using a halti we have had to use them for both of our lab girls.

3. Candy

Candy Registered Users

I'm sorry to hear you're struggling. It's really hard work isn't it? I'd agree with all the above and also add that I've always found that paying massive attention to my dog and generally being the most interesting thing in the world for her helps with recall, but I realise that this could be difficult if you also have a two year old with you. Pippa's book 'Total Recall' has been really useful to me as well. Good Luck.

4. Edp

Edp Registered Users

Hello, I think most labs go through this stage and its a challenging time that needs training and patience. It takes some time to come thorough as well. I could not have walked Meg with a toddler at this stage. I agree it is unmanageable to be safe and enjoyable. This is the time Meg ( my now 3 year old perfect princess ) had me in tears. The only thing that worked for us was training around distractions...and for us the best (even though exasperating) way was at obedience class. Every week we had different dogs, situations and exercises to complete. Although at times I felt disheartened as she was terrible to start with I did get reassurances that she would improve and I was not the only one feeling liken this. After a year she is the most perfect dog (and I have had 5) with a solid recall from everything and a deep attachment to me. Do you have any classes nearby you could try? The Kennel Club ones at all positive...worth a go and probably run at times when your daughter is in bed...best wishes Emma and Meg.

Tammy Cooke and Karen like this.
  5. Tammy Cooke

Yes I agree, Sadie (R.I.P my baby girl) had me in absolute tears of frustration. Thinking I was just a hopeless owner. It is a lab thing. Both my girls have done this.

Edp likes this.
  6. Joandrudy

Joandrudy Registered Users

Firstly thanks I was starting to think i just had a pain in the arse for a dog :) admittedly i don’t pay him that much attention when walking im usually more focused on my daughter, I will certainly try and work on that, in hindsight it is quite a big ask for a young dog to be expected to not get fed up of listening to me singing wheels on the bus for the millionth time! Recall wise I generally have Small training treats maybe I should try something bigger and tastier? Ill try and go out by myself with him at the weekend and be brave and seriously work on our recall then :) annnddd I’ll have a look at the Halti thingy you mentioned thank you x

Tammy Cooke likes this.
  7. Emily

Emily Registered Users

I totally feel your pain! I have a 2year old lab and a nearly 2 year old son and when they run in opposite directions it's a nightmare!

I rarely let them both have a 'free run' at the same time (unless OH is there too) so generally either the dog is on lead or the kid is in the pram. If we're in a space where I can see my surroundings really clearly, I will allow them both to be free but I always secure one or both if I see someone coming.

The lead pulling while using the pram is a real issue and I know I've had the pram on two wheels on a number of occasions. There are a couple of things that helped me:

1. If I saw someone coming in the opposite direction, it step to the side and put the brake on the pram. Then I'd step away with Ella (the dog) and reinforce calm behaviour as the person/dog walked past. Then I'd step back to the pram and on we'd go. Over time she got used to the routine and we were eventually able to keep walking as we passed people.

2. Keep treats in the pram. I keep a bag of dry treats in the cup holder part on the pram. It's so much easier to grab one and chuck it to your dog as you're walking along.

3. Remove your hand from the pram. I put the loop of the lead over my four fingers as I grip the pram, if I feel Ella pull, I just lift my hand from the pram and grip with my left hand while my right hand holds the pram. It definitely helps avoid crashes!

Hang in there!

8. Tammy Cooke

We use liver cake google liver cake recipe for dogs and that'll help