Help My 1 year old will no longer sleep by himself

Discussion in 'Labrador Behavior' started by Jo Shucksmith, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Jo Shucksmith

Jo Shucksmith Registered Users

Dexter was such a good puppy and slept quietly at night down in the kitchen every night. he wasnt well for a spell so I took him upstairs with us to keep an eye on him which worked for a couple of nights but then he started chewing everything in sight so my husband insisted he return to the kitchem. However he will no longer settle. He will sit at the baby gate and bark, cry continuously very loudly. To stop the noise I have resorted to sleeping in conservatory with him and this is where I have been for past two months. I am worn out. Sleeping on a two seater wicker settee is not ideal. It is entirely my fault this problem has occurred. i should never have let him come upstairs. But can anyone advise on best way to get back to normal again.......

2. Pilatelover

Pilatelover Registered Users

Oh dear poor you, I completely sympathise I’ve just had four nights on the sofa in the lounge as my girl has a pretty bad virus and has needed to go out to the toilet up to 7 times a night. I’m lucky now Im back to sleeping upstairs she has settled on her own in the lounge again. I’m exhausted so I can imagine how you must feel after a couple of months. Take a look at this link I’m sure it will help.

https://www.thelabradorsite.com/night-waking-how-to-restore-the-peace/

Good luck and don’t beat yourself up, I’ve definitely done things and thought in hindsight I would have done things differently. :)

3. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Oh dear, you have my sympathy! How about trying a crate in your bedroom? Then moving the crate to your hallway, then downstairs. Obviously, you may need to crate train first in the conservatory...

EmmaHughes likes this.
  4. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Was going to sugget the same as Kate @Beanwood.
    Lilly sleeps in our room or on our bed but not a chewer.

5. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

I do it the other way as it easier for me I sleep by the pup then move a bit further away then to a sofa. Then up stairs I go. I also got a futon so I can sleep with the dogs if they need me.blow up beds are good too.

EmmaHughes likes this.
  6. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

He knows what he wants!

I think I’d go for a crate by the bed then try slowly moving it out.

EmmaHughes likes this.
  7. Jes72

Jes72 Registered Users

Homer was about 1 years old when he decided he didn't want to sleep in his crate anymore. He flatly refused, would not be persuaded in any way, but would go to lie in his crate during the day and to wait for his dog walker. We left him in the kitchen at night for a while, then again he refused to go into the kitchen at night. We gave up, it wasn't worth the fight and stressing him out so he slept with us for a while on the bed, until I got fed up with being pushed out of bed so we got him his own dog bed which goes next to ours. This is not how we thought things would be but just how they happened.