Help! My buddy has started eating puppy pads

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Kelly-Anne Crook, Jan 6, 2018.

1. Kelly-Anne Crook

Kelly-Anne Crook Registered Users

Hi there .. we have a 4 month old Labrador Buddy! He’s beautiful and been so good but recently gained a new trick!
    He had puppy pads by the patio doors in our kitchen diner and always used them. In the last few days he’s decided that he prefers another spot in the dining room to do both lots of business. I moved puppy pads to that area ( only down when we are out ) and he just rips them up and uses the floor!
    Last night I tried the pads back in there previous spot , he ripped them up still and used the new preferred area!
    He will happily go out side and is walks at least twice a day , praised for toileting when walking.

I need a little help on when we are not home getting him back to using his pads my flooring is getting ruined and I really really don’t want to put him in a crate while we are st Work

Thanks in advance x

2. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

I can't really give any advice on the puppy pads, as I didn't use them. But I'm wondering, with the other place that he uses what you use to clean up? Ordinary cleaners leave a residue of odour that means the puppy goes back to use the same spot because he thinks it's his toilet. I can't remember the name, but others will --@Boogie for sure and @snowbunny, @SilverFalcon aswell I think, be able to suggest which cleaner to use.

3. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

snowbunny likes this.
  4. 20180815

20180815 Guest

Yes we have used Simple Solution.

5. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

Hi and welcome! Nature's Miracle is a popular brand of enzyme cleaner in the US, equivalent to Simple Solution in the UK.

I can't really give you any help on the puppy pads as they never worked for me even when I tried them years ago. When I tried them, my puppy did just what yours did - chewed up the pads and had a wee on the floor.

How about a crate plus puppy pen arrangement? This would give him more space than the just the crate and you could get some temporary rubber flooring (it's sold in roles at any hardware/builders store) to cover the area of the playpen and protect your floors.

How long is your puppy alone? It may also be a good idea to have a puppy walker come in for him during the day so that he doesn't need to eliminate at all in the house.