Help our pup bullies older dog

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Tina eley, Mar 10, 2019.

1. Tina eley

Tina eley Registered Users

Hi there
    We have Rocky 4yrs and Deisel now just 1yr old.
    They walk together where Deisel as to stay in front all the time.
    At home he takes toys off Rocky and won’t let him play with them.so now rocky won’t play at all. Deisel hates Rocky having fuss and tries to push in.
    He won’t leave Rocky alone if he’s sitting so I have to have separate rooms if we are not around, we have to put Deisel in cage while rocky eats as he won’t touch his food in case Deisel pounces, just a nightmare. So much hard work with these 2

2. Michael A Brooks

Michael A Brooks Registered Users

Hi @Tina eley

There is an e-book that covers your issues and more re multiple dog households. Trish Harris When Three's a Crowd

Tina eley likes this.
  3. Tina eley

Thanks for your help I’ve downloaded that kindle book see if it helps

4. Jo Laurens

Jo Laurens Registered Users

I think it's important to spend 1-2-1 time with each dog separately, each day. That might involve changes to daily routines, walking separately, training separately, and playing tug separately.

At meal times, feed in different rooms or separate with a stair gate.

If you're giving attention to one dog and another one most definitely barges in to demand it, don't give the interrupting dog the attention - or you just reinforce their behaviour. Turn your back on them, or exclude them just for a few minutes until they are behaving more appropriately when you can then 'notice' them :)

5. Tina eley

I know what you’re saying but most days with work I have to take them together for walks except weekends I have more time. I didn’t want to keep having to separate them I just want them to start accepting each other which seems never st the moment but I will take on board what you’ve said and thanks for your reply