Help? Puppy diet!

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Saskia, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Saskia

Saskia Registered Users

Hi,

So our black lab pup is 7 months now. We are really struggling to find a kibble which his belly can tolerate still. We've been giving him pasta/rice and chicken (advised by the vet) for quite some time now. We've tried all sorts of kibble but every time we increase the kibble in small amounts he gets a very poorly belly (diahrrea, gas). We've tried him on hypoallergenic food such as wainwright, Harrington, pedigree...He is fine with kibble in very small amounts (a handful) but it's not enough for him and I'm worried it's going to affect his growth if he doesn't get the right proteins, etc.

Any suggestions on affordable food that helps with a sensible belly?

2. Chococheer

Chococheer Registered Users

I can't really address your question in regard to a suggestion of a particular kibble brand, but I can tell you my boy suffered with an extremely sensitive stomach...I was constantly at the vet with frequent bouts of diarrhea and vomiting. I now give him probiotics (Protexin 3g) daily, and haven't had a single bout since. Having said that, it may be that he outgrew his stomach sensitivities...but the quite precise timing leads me to believe that the probiotics are doing the trick.

3. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

My dog has colitis and I use Millie's wolfheart tracker mix it's low fat and has no chicken ln it and he's great on it. A lot of dogs have a sensitivity to chicken I found that when I stopped using chicken he improved greatly. I've not had Rory have an outbreak of his colitis for over 18 months.

4. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

My puppy is on Symply Large Breed Puppy kibble which is Turkey and Rice. After a lot of stomach upsets last year, I gave her this. It’s great. She also has Hill i/d wet food in her kongs which I freeze. She has 3 a day. For the occasional tummy upset, I give her Pro - Kolin twice a day and generally this sorts her out.

As @SwampDonkey says about chicken - my puppy couldn’t eat that - it upset her badly. I avoid it totally though now she is older she might be ok. I don’t want to risk it.

5. Naya

Naya Registered Users

We had lots of problems finding a kibble that Harley could eat. It took several months to find one that agreed with her. She spent a lot of time on rice and chicken during her first 6-8 months. She is ok on a Bob and Lush, Barking Heads and Wainwrights. It is very much trial and error, just bear in mind that it might take a week or so for their tummies to settle on a new kibble.