Help!! Puppy loves deer poop

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Priya71, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Priya71

Priya71 Registered Users

Hello,

My 6 month old girl, Enya has recently started eating deer poop like it is some gourmet delicacy....yuck!!

I try my best to spot the poop pellets before she can and avoid that area but she finds it before me and makes a beeline for it. I try to tell her to 'drop it' and alsi try bribing with a treat but she quickly swallows it and comes for the treat...the little stinker!

I am at my wits end. Is deer poop harmful for dogs? Is this behavior common?

Thanks,
    Priya

2. Samantha Jones

Samantha Jones Registered Users

Hi I would give my vets a quick ring - I know rabbit poo is not a worry, fox poo is rather more of a concern. Bailey used to love eating fox poo and would do anything he could to get to it - luckily he outgrew it. Rabbit poo he will still snaffle up if he can :rolleyes: but he doesn't hunt for it anymore.

3. Hollysdad

Hollysdad Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Holly eats poo from fox, deer, sheep, wild boar, rabbit, horse, cattle and some animals that we haven't identified yet. We discourage it as much as possible, but after 5 years it doesn't seem to have done her any harm apart from the occasional creaky tummy.

4. SteffiS

SteffiS Registered Users

Ripple is also a poo eater, deer poo included. Doesn't seem to do him any harm, but obviously I'd rather he didn't eat any poo.

5. Karen

Karen Registered Users

My vet says not to worry about herbivore poop, just make sure your dog is up to date with worming medication.

Poppy and Merlin think deer poop is doggy smarties!!!

SwampDonkey, selina27 and Stacia like this.
  6. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

I call it recycled grass :)

Hollysdad, Stacia and Karen like this.
  7. Priya71

Priya71 Registered Users

Lol...thank you all for your responses! I guess I will have to try to keep working harder on luring her away from her favorite 'treat'....and I will try not to freak out if she eats some:)