help to decide

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Rocky-mum, Nov 22, 2015.

1. Rocky-mum

Rocky-mum Registered Users

Hi All, I am back with one more question . Looks like my stay in India is going to extend for one more month. From what I hear from my husband back in US, his current day care lady does not do much training neither does my husband once he is back home in the evening. Rocky is going to hit 6 months and I am worried he is at wrong time to be left untrained. I have heard about a nearby gun dog trainer who trains dogs and boards them at his home. Though unbelievably expensive, looks like it is a good option to board Rocky there until I go back. He is a positive gun dog trainer and from what I discussed with him, he will do obidience more if I want That for Rocky. Should I go for it or continue the arrangement we have currently i.e send him to day care bring home in the evening and leave the training until I return?

2. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Is he really a positive gundog trainer? I mean, really, really, really? I understand that positive gundog trainers in the US are rarer than hens' teeth. And a number of trainer I've been to have described themselves as positive and have been anything but.

Unless I'd seen a trainer in action, there is no way I'd trust them with my dog. Just about every trainer thinks they are kind to their dogs, and use 'positive' methods, but that does not mean that they even know what positive reinforcement training is.

So long as Rocky isn't actually learning any bad habits, and you get on with things when you get home, he won't come to any harm training wise at all.

3. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

I'm no where near an expert on dog training but totally agree with JulieT. As long as what he has learnt so far is maintained and he doesn't pick up too many bad habits he'll be fine. I wouldn't trust my dog with anyone I hadn't met and certainly not for training that I had been able to watch and assess. If Rocky is happy I'd leave things well alone and pick up training when you're home.

4. Rocky-mum

I did speak to the trainer and specifically mentioned to use only clicker training. Which he said, thats all he uses. He was recommended to us by breeder whom we trust . Also, since Rocky will not be working as gundog, training will be mostly on obidience . I know all my cues are posioned now( Pet sitter sent a vidoe today showing Rocky sit, she repeated 'sit '10 times;) she was proud he did it lol. She and her dogs have no clue on training. Her dogs are loved well and old so quite mellow. I do not know about any bad habits as such- hubby says , he doesn't come when called now, pulls on leash. I am worried one more month and i will be struggling with everything all over again:( On top of it, as you all know , I am new to training as well , so far I avoided bad habits, I have no clue how to train against an already formed bad habit. But, I do not want Rocky to be subjected to "traditional" methods

5. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I have lot of sympathy for you - I can tell that you are worried. :(

To be honest though, most people who are training a pet dog for the first time will find that by 6 months the dog has largely forgotten his recall, pulls on the lead, and most of the cues they learned quick as a flash as puppies have been poisoned in an environment where dog walkers and day care is used. :) It's so common as to be considered just about normal.

You will get over all of this. Just like we all did. :)

6. Rocky-mum

Thank you Julie, You're right about six month , I have read about it so much here. Now that I think about it, leaving Rocky with people I have never met, does not sound like a good idea. I will deal with the issues once I am back :) I miss Rocky so much and miss our training sessions , we used to have alot of fun playing and learing new things everyday.

7. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

Rocky may well be in a kennel on his own which isn't very pleasant but on the other hand he could be very happy there. Go with what your heart tells you.

8. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

I think you've 'talked' it through and come to your conclusion and I agree with you! I couldn't leave Dexter with someone I hadn't met...no matter how suitable they sounded.As Julie says you will manage when you get back....I'm here all the time with my Husband and he still scuppers me and we've coped.....Dexter pulls Chris on the lead but he has always let him ...I don't and he walks fine for me ......our inconsistencies have had an effect on our training for sure but I've had to live with it because I can't change it ......we've survived though ......and remained married

9. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I think remaining married is the hardest thing about training a young Labrador! :D:D:D

10. charlie

charlie Registered Users

I think you are right not to leave Rocky with this trainer. I think most of us have or do suffer a bit from the inconsistent training of our OH's but my dogs survive and do well when these occasions arise. Like Angela said I can't change it very much either as everyone is different. You may have to go back to basics with Rocky when you return from your trip but you know what to do so you will get there you will also enjoy seeing him and moving on with his training. Try not to worry too much it's certainly not the end of the world xx :)

11. Snowshoe

Snowshoe Registered Users

Check out that trainer most carefully. You know in Operant Conditioning "positive" means a positive reward and a positive punishment? Simply saying positive training is unclear.

According to my field trainer some of those board and train places use Stockholm Syndrome to train. Your dog is kept in isolation in a crate, brought out for a training session once or twice a day, ignored except to put food in the crate otherwise. Since he's a field trial guy he meant gundog training and especially Force Fetch, which he was not a fan of. But I think any board and train could be the same.

That said our friend did board and train at a franchise place and was pleased. She and her husband had long hours at their jobs, and shift work, and it was going to be hard for them to be consistent in training their puppy.

It might be ok, you never know. Did you google up for reviews? If you are in the US you might be able to ask folks on gundog boards to PM you with their experience at the place you are considering.

12. Rocky-mum