Help with puppy at night

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Jordan, Dec 28, 2018.

1. Jordan

Jordan Registered Users

Hi have recently got a lab girl puppy she is 8weeks we have been told buy the breeder to cage her on night we are three nights in and she is still crying nearly every hour , as much as I want to go down and see how she is I have been told to not and leave her so she gets used to been buy her self .
    When we go down in the morning she has poo all over her cage and has tipped her bowl over so her bed is flooded and she is just stood wanting out I am just wondering if anyone else has had these problems and am I doing the right thing

2. Michael A Brooks

Michael A Brooks Registered Users

Hi @Jordan

welcome to the forum.

It sounds to me as though you haven't taught crating properly. Please read the following

https://thehappypuppysite.com/crate-training-a-puppy/

There is no real problem in having the crate in your bedroom until your pup learns that all is well.

Note that at that age you have to take the puppy out to toilet in the garden every two hours or so. Reward her with treats when she urinates and defecates at the same spot in the garden. Have her on a house line when you take her out at night.

Please read the following

https://www.thelabradorsite.com/a-quick-guide-to-house-training-your-labrador-puppy/

3. Saffy/isla

Saffy/isla Registered Users

Hi could you have her crate in your room for a bit. When our pup cried we reached out a hand for her to sniff and be reassured and told her gently to"sleep now girl". This really worked and the crying stopped after a few nights.

Good luck

4. LoopyLuna

LoopyLuna Registered Users

Hi @Jordan sorry to hear you're having trouble in the first few nights. We were given the same advice by our breeder and it didn't work for us either.

She will most likely be crying because she's uncomfortable having gone to the toilet in her den. Dogs really don't like to do this. If you are able to take her out during the night (setting your alarm to go off every 3 hours or so) so that she can do her business, then you'll most likely find that she'll settle back to sleep on her own. Alternatively, do as suggested by a few people and pop her crate in your room to reassure her, though you'll still need to take her out for a wee/poo.

Good luck - hope you get it resolved soon so you can get some much needed sleep.

5. Johnny Walker

Johnny Walker Registered Users

You can sleep next to the crate for a few nights as well. And just to echo what’s been said. They still need to go out every two to three hours at that age. It’s very distressing for the pup to have to go in their “ cave “ as well.

6. WillowA

WillowA Registered Users

We had no trouble with our 8 week old puppy.
    She was put in a basket in the kitchen and puppy pads were put by the back door she used them in the night they can't hold things in all night at a young age.
    Willow loves her basket she often takes herself to bed at night when we are in the living room.

7. Supermom

Supermom Registered Users

Hi, we went through the same experience 2 weeks back when we got Maximus. For a couple of days, I had him next to my bed in a laundry basket. But by fourth day I was worried he would jump out of it.. in between, I made him comfortable in his crate during the day. His crate is in our family room. Now, he sleeps in his crate in the night and I take him out once in between to pee. I do put puppy pads on top of his blanket in the crate. Yesterday for the first time, he went in his crate by himself to sleep. Yay!
    Hope it helps and hang in there!