Help with raw feeding a German shepherd puppy

Discussion in 'Raw Feeding' started by Burnnotes, May 14, 2019.

1. Burnnotes

Burnnotes Registered Users

So, I'll be getting a seven week old puppy next week & I want to put him on a raw diet soon. He is a purebred German shepherd, his dad is 120 pounds and the mama after birth is 90 pounds.
    All the numbers and percentages are a bit overwhelming from the research I was doing.

I was just wondering if someone could simplify it for me. Like, how much in one feeding(& of what?) How many times a day? I know most puppies eat three to four times a day. Just need some help with meal prepping(ideas of the meals) and how to adjust it as he gets older. There is just a million things online

Thanks!

2. 5labs

5labs Registered Users

You should leave him on th food the breeder has had him on for a few days first. The breeder will bee able to advise you aon what he is fed, how much and how often. If you are looking to raw feed, I would strongly suggest starting with a complete (eg Nutriment Puppy) until you have had time to do your research. Puppy nutrition is very important.

3. lucy@labforumHQ

lucy@labforumHQ Administrator Forum Supporter

Hi Burnnotes, Congratulations on your new puppy!

We've got a guide to raw feeding here which breaks it down a bit, that you might find helpful: https://www.thelabradorsite.com/raw-feeding-for-dogs/

The 'Getting Started with Raw Feeding' section has information on the types of raw food and quantities.

Let us know how you get along when your new pup arrives :)

4. Ruth Buckley

Ruth Buckley Registered Users

Pippa's guide to raw feeding mentioned above is a really good introduction.
    Also there are lots of really helpful Facebook groups - I like ' raw feeding UK ' but I'm sure there will be a group based where you are.
    I have no experience of feeding puppies - my dog was about 10 months old when we switched to raw - so I can't help you much. Also, I think it's impossible to give you a precise plan for your dog as you have to monitor how your dog's doing on the diet - stools not too boney or too loose, not getting fat or skinny etc.

If you're feeling overwhelmed by all the information online then maybe start out with a commercial raw, this should be balanced in terms of bone and offal. Also have in mind that a lot of people have some very strong opinions about things that may not be backed up with a great deal of evidence.

Personally, I prefer not to buy commercial premade food as it kind of defeats a lot my objectives for feeding raw... I use predominantly organic or wild meat I source locally and I love the way feeding meaty bones and whole prey keeps my dog busy and entertained.

Just to give you an idea my 30kg 2 year old lab X collie has about 700g grams of food a day (just under 2.5 % of his bodyweight) . I find it easiest to prep and freeze boneless meals containing a whole days worth of offal ( approx 35g of liver and 35g of another organ usually kidney but I also use spleen and testicles depending on what's available) plus muscle meat ( which can include things traditionally thought of as offal such as heart ,lung and tripe) up to about 300grams total. I feed this as one meal with the other meal being around 200-300g meaty bones such as half a rabbit or a lamb neck or some venison ribs. This leaves around 100g to feed as training treats (I use either cooked or dehydrated meat for this). When he was younger I used a much greater proportion for training even using some kibble for convenience ( this is the kind of thing that gets some raw feeding 'experts' very upset but didn't seem to do my dog any harm!)
    I also give him oily fish a few times a week either sardines or sprats in the meal boxes or occasionally a whole trout as a full meal when they're on offer in the supermarket. I do give him some veg (mostly cooked kitchen scraps such as outer cabbage leaves, kale stalks and carrot peelings) as he enjoys it and it bulks out his meals - he's a very greedy dog who would eat til he burst if I let him.

I could ramble on about my dog's diet all day but I don't think that's very helpful to you at the moment so I'll stop! If you have more specific questions once you get your puppy I'll be happy to start rambling again, or hopefully some of the raw feeders on the forum with more experience will be able to help.