Help with recall

Discussion in 'Dog Training: Principle and Practice' started by JOY DONNAN, Feb 19, 2019.

1. JOY DONNAN

JOY DONNAN Registered Users

I am working through your total recall book. I have recently acquired a 3 year old German long haired pointer who is extremely well behaved apart from her terrible recall. She is what you would call an absconder. I am working through the book but wanted to know if while I am carrying out the training I am able to take her to a secure area and let her run as currently without attempting recall as I am lead walking her and she is not getting enough exercise and I think getting quite depressed.
    Your advice would be much appreciated.
    Thank you
    Joy

Sent from my iPhone

2. pippa@labforumHQ

pippa@labforumHQ Administrator

Hi Joy, a secure area where your dog can run around freely and in safety is always beneficial, whether it's a secure yard, large garden, fenced tennis court, or any other well fenced enclosure.

3. JOY DONNAN

JOY DONNAN Registered Users

Thank you but my question was is it ok to let her run free in a safe area whilst I am still in the early stages of recall training or will this confuse the training?
    Joy

4. lucy@labforumHQ

lucy@labforumHQ Administrator Forum Supporter

Hi Joy, Are you worried about not being able to catch her when you want to go home?

5. Debs

Debs Registered Users

Hi, yes take her to a secure area and let her have a good run. When she is running towards you practice your recall and make sure you have fun with her!

Michael A Brooks likes this.
  6. CPTCrash

CPTCrash Registered Users

I am working on training with my 14 month old Lab Scout, i would say maybe about 60% of the time he does what he is told (sit, rest, come, etc...) but how do we get it to 100% of the time! I am pretty sure he know was to do he just sometimes seems to choose not to!

7. Michael A Brooks

Michael A Brooks Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Hi @CPTCrash

It's not possible to answer that question without observing your interactions with your dog. There are many, many reasons why a dog may not follow cue.

I suggest you and your dog attend a positive reinforcement dog obedience club. The instructor should explain how to increase the number of successful repetitions.