Help with this pup's tummy troubles...

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Allison_, Sep 1, 2017.

1. Allison_

Allison_ Registered Users

We got goldie when we were told she was 8 weeks, turns out she was only 5 (the vet discovered this when we took her in due to her lack of appetite.) She is now 12 weeks and has a wonderful appetite and is thriving.

Unfortunately that appetite and her growth led her to being able to reach the counter on Tuesday afternoon, where she grabbed a package of sour gummy candy and ate some of it. Her tummy responded with diarrhea within the hour. It did not improve that night so we switched her to chicken and rice with 1 teaspoon of canned pumpkin.

She is eating great (begging) and drinking and dare I say has more energy than ever...but the mushy elimination persists. No fever, happy as can be. However, she had been accident free for weeks and she has had an accident in her crate every night since (only 3 nights) and getting us up every 2 hours on average.

Our vet is closed until Tuesday. I can take her to the ER vet but her behavior is great and she isn't dehydrated. I would say the elimination would be classified as mushy now, not diarrhea. Any ideas on what else I can do?

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Check the packet of the gummies; if they contain xylitol, take her to the vet, as it's very toxic to dogs.

It's not surprising that she's not able to hold her bowels if she's got an upset tummy, so I would try to separate it from toilet training thoughts. However, if she feels forced to use her crate for toileting, it can become a habit, so while she is unwell, I would go back to getting up throughout the night to let her out. Just like a baby with a sore stomach, it's no wonder she can't sleep properly.

I would give the vet a ring to talk it through with them and see what they suggest. If your vet is closed (on a Friday/Saturday/Monday??) then call another to ask. Keep her well hydrated and keep a good eye on her; puppies can go downhill very quickly.

3. Allison_

Allison_ Registered Users

Thank you @snowbunny! Thank goodness no xylitol on the package ingredients. I never knew that so it is good info to have!