HELP......

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Vicci, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Vicci

Vicci Registered Users

Bagheera has been so good and well behaved. We have just started to De crate him and we have had no problems being left out during the day or night. Came home today after being out a couple of hours na he's chewed my skirting board & door frame. He has loads of toys and we leave him with a long to keep him busy but this has completely side lined me as we have been so lucky with him. Is there anything I can get like sprays that actually work or any home made remedies? Please help

2. Lex

Lex Registered Users

Sounds like boredom to me (from what I've read as I'm a newbie to all of this). Maybe needs a walk or mental stimulation of some kind to tire him out. Either that Or he's suffering with a little separation anxiety and that's how he's dealing? X

Vicci likes this.
  3. Vicci

Vicci Registered Users

Just thought it was a Bit strange after a few weeks of behaving so well he suddenly he starts. Confused me that's all. Will try some more toys and frozen Kong's.

4. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

This happened to us when Sky was about 12-18 months old. She was never in a crate. One day after she had been left, we returned to find she had nibbled a door frame and eaten some plaster off the wall. At the time I was very shocked. We did spray the door frame and put a panel of plywood over the wall. She never chewed the door frame again and eventually we took the panel off the wall and she never touched that again. We concluded it was her youth and boredom. (We still have the reminder of the damage - it’s in our utility so never seen by anyone else). It’s worth trying a bitter spray as this is easy to do and see if it does the trick.

Vicci likes this.
  5. Joy

Joy Registered Users

My puppies have all chewed. Molly wasn’t left alone in the house at all while a puppy but she still managed to chew a bit of skirting board and the leg of a dining chair while I wasn’t paying attention. Some people find bitter apple spray on the surface works as a deterrent but it had no effect on Molly - I just watched her like a hawk!
    I’d suggest trying a puppy pen if you no longer want to use the crate.

And all mine eventually grew out of it - Molly became trustworthy around 18 months of age and I can leave anything within reach now and she won’t touch it if it isn’t hers.

Vicci likes this.
  6. Vicci

Vicci Registered Users

We have newly decorated and it's in our living room so can't hide it sadly. Is the bitter spray called that or something different?

7. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Has he been left for this period of time before? How old is he now? These might be important factors to bear in mind.

8. Vicci

Vicci Registered Users

He's 8 months now. Couple of hours max but this is the 1st time he has done this. Apart from having some trouble with walking him we've been really lucky. Just don't understand what's changed. Not sure what else it could be nothings changed unless it's just his age

9. Shaz82

Shaz82 Registered Users

It's called Grannicks Bitter Apple, works wonders but you have to reapply it regularly especially on absorbent surfaces. I tried another kind which Maisy found quite tasty but she really hated the bitter apple spray. I suppose different dogs have different tastes but it is well worth a try. Good luck.

Vicci likes this.
  10. Vicci

Vicci Registered Users

Thank you I'm gonna try anything.

11. Anne123

Anne123 Registered Users

Who not leave the crate in tact? Finn was a chewer also. We decrated him when he was 4 years old. Never used a spray! He chewed carpets, stairs, music box. We still see the remnants of his actions. All because we wanted to try to decrate him. After leaving the crate open and all went well we decrated him...
    Never left him alone for couple of hours. 3 hours is still max!