help !!

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Annmarie Betts, Sep 29, 2018.

1. Annmarie Betts

Annmarie Betts Registered Users

Lola is 17 wks old now and fully recovered hopefully from the horrible virus she brought with her. We are in and out all day toileting and touch wood we have not had an accident for 3 days now, So whats the problem you might say - how do I teach her to go to the door to ask to go out as in an out all these times a day is exhausting and also, we live in the country and have a field at the back of us and she has taken a great delight in the sheep pooh - how do I try and persuade her not to eat it all or collect it as she goes along. Thanks for any help. Annmarie x

2. Jo Laurens

Jo Laurens Registered Users

Hi Annmarie - Puppies need really close and careful supervision to teach them the right habits and to prevent them starting the wrong habits. Whilst it may seem like a lot of work at the moment, it is way easier than trying to deal with unwanted behaviours and train them out, in the future, and the time spent now is well-invested.

At 17 weeks, after she has had a stomach virus with runny poops affecting toilet training, I would continue as you are doing - taking her out when she asks to go out. HOWEVER, it is very important these trips outside are simply and purely toilet trips, or you will soon have her asking to go out just because she quite fancies a walk around the field and some sheep poo, plus some running and sniffing about.

So, for each toilet trip, the rule is: Lead or house-line on, go to stand in one specific spot, do not allow the pup to tow you around and do not provide new interesting ground or smells by walking - stand still until they get bored enough to toilet - then return inside.

For the sheep poo, you are going to need to again keep her on a house line or a long-line until you've taught her a reliable Drop cue - beginning indoors. The more you allow her to eat the sheep poo and realise how much she likes it, the harder you are going to find it to train a reliable Drop cue in the future.

Here is the video on teaching the Drop:

3. Michael A Brooks

Michael A Brooks Registered Users

Hi @Annmarie Betts place a houseline on you pup. Always take here on to the same area. Postivlely reward her with Yes and then treat when she either defecates or urinates. Clean the path of sheep droppings so that you have clear path. I'm afraid there are a few more in and outs required.

Each time you go out with her give her a cue to say sit looking at the closed door. Yes and treat. Open door and take her to the intended spot for going to toilet.

Be generous with your rewards. This is a behaviour you want to strongly enforce. Be cheerful despite your undrstandable weariness. Remember she hasn't been feeling well either. Time to bond.