Herbs for worms?

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Newpuppymom, Jul 21, 2013.

1. Newpuppymom

Newpuppymom Registered Users

Well apparently these herbs will kill heartworm and lungworm as well as the gaurdia and just about every other type of worm. And it has been known to be used on pets.

http://drmark1961.hubpages.com/hub/safe-herbal-heartworm-treatment-for-your-dog

Was thinking of trying it but wanted peoples views on it first before I try anything! This would be pretty cost effective to worm my dog like this instead as I worm myself every 3-6 month too!

Another link ; http://www.ehow.co.uk/about_6651218_black-walnut-extract-treatment-heartworms.html

2. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Re: Herbs for worms?

It would be interesting to hear the veterinary opinion on this.
    From a medical point of view, herbal preparations are unregulated, of varying quality and strength, not tested rigorously by randomised control trials, and often have only anecdotal evidence of efficacy. Since they are unregulated there is also no statutory body recording side effects and problems following treatment.
    Black cohosh used to be usex for women to treat menopausal symptoms (sorry guys) for years before it was noted it coild cause liver failure and death.
    I am by no means anti herbal and alternative therapies (in fact I practice acupuncture) BUT I personally wouldn't go down the herbal route for this type of thing.

Just saying.
    Hope that didn't sound like a rant. I woild be interested in a veterinary opinoon ;D
    And I am still looking for the best thimg for ticks ;)

Jac

Jac

3. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

But having said that, there is a lot of controversy over conventionl medical and veterinary treatments- in particular vaccination.
    Its a mine field :-\

4. Newpuppymom

Newpuppymom Registered Users

I can understand where you are coming from.

I personally worm myself every 3 to 6 month and It took a few years to find a wormer that actually worked. I worked with exotic animals for a while so It was very necessary to worm myself. I know I had them and so I bought dog wormers to try on myself (the ingredients in the dog wormer not the actual drontal lol)they are also used to treat humans. I bought ovex over the counter. A lot of them just were not strong enough.

And that is why I went down the herbal path. They do say if you have parasites then you feel ill when they die off. The first time I wormed myself with these 3 herbs I felt like I was dying from the parasite die off. I also wormed my friend and he didn't have any side affects. took about 3 days for them to die. It is because I know they work that I have thought of using them on my dog.

But again I do not want to hurt my dog so I would like a vets opinion before I even think of trying it out.

5. Lochan

Lochan Supporting Member Forum Supporter

[quote author=drjs@5 link=topic=2070.msg17997#msg17997 date=1374414719]
    It would be interesting to hear the veterinary opinion on this.
    From a medical point of view, herbal preparations are unregulated, of varying quality and strength, not tested rigorously by randomised control trials, and often have only anecdotal evidence of efficacy. Since they are unregulated there is also no statutory body recording side effects and problems following treatment.

Jac
    [/quote]

Couldn't agree more. Herbal preparations frequently contain potent substances which are the basis of some veterinary medicines but just as Jac says they are of unregulated quality and strength. In the same way I wouldn't eat willow bark for a headache (aspirin) or foxglove for heart disease (digitalis) as you simply don't know what dose you are taking I would not personally use anything like this in my dogs. First rule of medicine - do no harm. Acupuncture is safe and frequently effective, homeopathy is harmless but herbalism can be associated with severe side effects. Take care!

6. caroleb

caroleb Registered Users

I use Verm X as a preventative and been really happy with the results. A friend of mine runs a riding school and she has to worm the horses very carefully. It's a different formulation but shes uses Verm X and when she sends dung samples off her horses are always clear. They are a well established brand used widely which takes some of the concerns away. I've found their helpline to be very useful too. I use the liquid as it's much more cost effective than tablets although not as tasty. Being labs of course mine eat their dinner even on the days it tastes funny ;D