Here's our girl!

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by BuffyDog, Jul 12, 2015.

1. BuffyDog

BuffyDog Registered Users

[​IMG]

Well, yesterday we went to choose our girl and here she is! I didn't get too many photos as I was supervising my daughters pretty closely.

The mum was glad to see us, she's a total sweetheart.

We had the choice of 3 girls- we ruled one out fairly quickly as we thought she might be a bit too bold and cheeky. The hard part came with choosing between the last two as they were both lovely. But one seemed to choose my husband and that was that! So here she is. Her name is Buffy.

The breeder said we are welcome to go back every week for a visit so we can get to know each other, which should make the journey home a bit easier. He's only 12 miles away so not too far. Also one of the boy pups is going to a family in the next village from us so we're hoping for some joint walks.

I saw the health test certificates, checked the pups eyes and ears and all seems well. Very healthy mum and dad (mum looks pretty good for having ten babies! I looked much worse and I only had one at a time lol).

The pups will be wormed and have their first lot of vaccinations, but not microchipped so I will arrange that with our vet. You hear so many awful stories about dog thefts :( Will the vet do the microchip on the first visit, do you think? I want to get it done as soon as possible.

The next 4 weeks are going to be SO. SLOW.

2. LucyinCornwall

LucyinCornwall Registered Users

What a beautiful girl!!!!

3. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

How lovely! :)

Charlie came already microchipped, but my vet said that if he hadn't that he would want a separate appointment from the vacs for that because he wouldn't want to do both at the same time. Only because of wanting not doing too much to a tiny pup on its first ever vet visit (more treats than needles is a good thing so your puppy ends up loving the vet's office). At first, she won't really be out of your sight, so I wouldn't worry if it takes a couple of weeks before you can get the microchip done.

4. Emily

Emily Registered Users

How tiny and beautiful! ☺

5. Pilatelover

Pilatelover Registered Users

She's absolutely gorgeous, my vet microchips along with the second vaccination.

6. Naya

Naya Registered Users

Gorgeous puppy

7. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

She's perfect!

Tatze had her 12 week vaccination and microchip at the same time.

Gypsy and Twiglet were microchipped at 6 weeks :)

8. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

She is so lovely. Juno received her first vaccinations at 8 weeks and was microchipped at the same time with her 9 brothers and sisters, before we collected her at 10.5 weeks. As Buffy will have received her first vaccinations you could ask the breeder about the microchipping as some are happy to have provide the service as long as the cost is covered.

9. Jane Martin

Jane Martin Registered Users

Beautiful puppy and dad looks happy!! Good move ;). Chepi had her chip done in front of me by the breeder at 4.5 weeks and she didn't bat an eye. Why not call the vet and ask. You will have such an exciting wait. Have you got everything ready? Are you practising early starts to the day or making the most of your sleep?

10. Jane Martin

Jane Martin Registered Users

Nice name too.

11. BuffyDog

Thanks for all the comments! My husband was very taken with her, which is funny because he's the least doggy of the lot of us.

My children have me well-trained for early mornings :D And I'm one of those people that is irritatingly chirpy at 6am (after a coffee, obv).

So far I have got:

A crate (too big at the mo but a neighbour has said we can borrow hers until Buffy has grown into the big crate)
    A few toys
    A collar and lead
    Long lead
    Loads of old towels
    A place mat thing for her bowls to go on
    Grooming brush
    Seat belt clip for harness
    Puppy pen (so she can have a break from the children!)
    Poo bags

Still need to get:

A harness
    An ID tag for the collar
    Stair gate
    Food and water bowls
    Treats
    Puppy kong
    Tooth brush

Is there anything else? Thanks for any tips!

Thanks for all the info about microchips. Our local vet surgery is lovely (we saw rather too much of them last year as we sadly lost one of our cats) and has said to just phone or come in and register as soon as we like so I'll get it all done before we bring her home.

12. LucyinCornwall

I love your list of things!!!! So prepared.... and it's so fun buying puppy things!!!

We have:

Car crate + bed to go in it
    Dog bowls
    Lead
    Collar
    Harness
    Dog bed
    Blankets/towels
    Toys
    Tick twister
    Puppy pen
    Poo bags
    Clicker
    Whistle
    Treat bag
    Just bought the dog food
    Just sorted out the vet insurance

Still need:

Vet bed
    Special cleaning spray
    Tooth brush
    Treats
    Stairgate
    ID collar
    A long lead
    Grooming brush
    Clippers
    First aid kit
    Lanyard for dog whistle

Think that's it... and then extra things on wishlist that aren't needed right now!

x x x

13. murphthesmurf

murphthesmurf Registered Users

She is lovely! One thing would be the crate for the car? Are you planning on travelling her in one - as you prob dont want to have to move the one from your house back and forwards? Also, on one of your visits, take a blanket, with your scent on it (just have it in your bed for a couple of nights) and leave it with the breeder to put in the mums/littermates bed - so this can come home with Buffy to help with the transition - Murphy kept his in his crate for about 5 nights (it did stink!)

14. mmomom

mmomom Registered Users

Beautiful!

15. BuffyDog

Is it usual to use a crate for travelling then? We have pop up seats in the boot with seatbelts and I was planning to use a harness and the seatbelts in the boot. There is also a dog guard.

Thanks for posting your list, Lucy. I forgot about a tick remover, I need one of those too. And quite a few other things on your list that I forgot!

16. Granca

Granca Registered Users

She looks gorgeous - lovely name too!

17. LucyinCornwall

For me I feel a car crate is safest for a dog to travel in as they have the safety of the cage so they don't go flying, and things are less likely to hit the dog too, so that's what I'm personally going for. :)

Thank you for posting yours, it was a great idea! You reminded me of a few things too!! The tick twister is very clever, such an easy way to get the whole tick out... the video is fascinating to watch on amazon!

18. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Hello there,welcome to the Forum,Buffy is a little cutie,it's so great that you can go back and visit her regularly before she comes home with you.
    Securing your dog whilst they travel in the car is so important ...(this is a subject where I don't practice what I preach .....we just have a dog guard to keep Dexter in the boot but I hardly do any driving with him ,we live in Dubai ) On the subject of crates......the regular dog crates that we use in our houses are not approved for car travel and whilst they would keep your dog secure from moving about freely in the car ,in a Big Bang ,god forbid, they could do more harm than good ....there are companies that make cutomised car crates to fit the model of your car,they are pretty expensive pieces of kit as you can imagine,
    The most popular mode of keeping dogs secure does appear to be a harness ...I don't know enough to advise you on which ones are considered the best.I know there are quite a few of the Forum members who do long travel journeys who might be along with some suggestions for you.
    I'm very envious reading all your puppy shopping lists...seems a long time since I was doing that now Dexter is nearly 3! X

19. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Gorgeous! Exciting times ahead!

20. BuffyDog

[​IMG]

We went for another visit today. She's 5 weeks now and very playful (and quite nippy! Although her brothers were much worse). My daughters were really pleased to see her, my eldest was stroking her and saying 'you're my fluffy baby'. We're planning to go back again next weekend for another visit.