Hi from Australia

Discussion in 'Introductions & Saying Hello' started by Tracey D, Nov 18, 2017.

1. Tracey D

Tracey D Registered Users

hi, thought I should introduce myself as new to the forum.
    I have a 8 mth old gorgeous yellow Lab of European type. He is my first Lab, after always having Dobermans. I purchased him from show stock to show which I did , and he was doing well in the showring
    Unfortunately, he started to limp and was diagnosed with OCD. Parents scored well and are champs as well as siblings now, so guess I drew the short end of the straw. He was always at risk because he is heavy boned. He is the most stunning dog and it's heartbreaking.
    My breeder has helped me all along with him , from showing to his operation he had last Tuesday. Breeder is devastated as well.
    His right elbow was quite bad. Many fragments. At the moment he has the cone of shame on as he was starting to lick one wound. He is not confined as vet is allowing him to walk and Reuben is sensible. I'm pumping in NZ mussel and glucosamine/condroitin and tumeric.
    His life now will be basically management.
    He knows I am trying to help him and being a good boy

2. leejane

leejane Mum to the Mooster

Hi there and welcome to the forum. I'm sorry you and Reuben are going through this, it's just awful in dogs so young,and sounds like you've researched a lot to find a good breeder.

There are many of us on here who have dogs with serious joint problems,and manage them through a whole range of methods. My boy has severe HD and ED so I do feel your pain.

I've become a believer in 'having the dog you were meant to have'. You'll love him and do the best for him.

From Natalie and Monty in Warwickshire, England.

SwampDonkey, Tracey D and selina27 like this.
  3. Pilatelover

Pilatelover Registered Users

Welcome to the forum from me and my almost 3 year old girl Mabel in Coventry, England. So sorry to hear about Ruben although it sounds to me he is very lucky to have you. :)

Tracey D likes this.
  4. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

Welcome to you and Reuben, although I'm sorry it is at such a hard time for you. So many plans and hopes that you must feel are lost now. But you will make new plans and Reuben and you will share a happy time, I am sure. Reuben will know he is loved and he will love you right back. Looking forward to hearing all about your adventures on this forum!

Tracey D likes this.
  5. selina27

selina27 Registered Users

Hi and welcome from me in the UK, and my black lab Cassie. What rotten luck for you and Reuben, good that the breeder is helping you. I guess in time you and he will enjoy a different sort of life together.

Tracey D likes this.
  6. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

It’s great that you have the support of your breeder. But tough to go through this.... Hope Reuben recovers steadily.

7. Emily

Emily Registered Users

Hi and welcome from me and Ella in Melbourne :hi:

Sorry for the reason that brought you here to the forum but it's great to have you here anyway

Tracey D likes this.
  8. edzbird

edzbird Registered Users

Hi from me & Coco on the Isle of Man.

9. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Hello and welcome from Poppy and Merlin and me. I am very sorry to hear about your problems; I hope the operation is a success and Reuben has a happy, mobile, pain-free life with you.

10. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Hi Tracey, welcome to you and Reuben.
    Lilly is my first dog and she was diagnosed with HD at around a year old. She is 7.5 now and doing brilliantly with diet, weight control and exercise. No surgery, hopefully we won't need to go that route, but if that's the plan, so be it.
    good luck with Reuben.
    jac