Hi from the new guy!

Discussion in 'Introductions & Saying Hello' started by DogLuber33, Oct 31, 2018.

1. DogLuber33

DogLuber33 Registered Users

Thanks for adding me to the forum. I have never owned a lab (just as a child) but I have owned 3 Rotties and 3 APBTs in my life (currently 52 years old). When my current dog passes she is getting older I am considering a Lab for my next dog. I have always liked labs but for whatever reason I rescued or was given a Rottie or APBT. The reason I am thinking Lab is I would like a dog that is more social and easy to work with in public. I took my Rotts and now my current APBT in public and even have play dates with other dogs (including labs) but I always have to be hyper vigilant that another dog don't challenge my dog. That said...

I am an active dog owner...3- 1+ hour walks per day and training sessions during the day also. On weekends...Hiking, camping...always on the move.

I love the head of the English/Show labs but prefer the more athletic bodies of the American/Field labs. I also want a dog that will be active for a long time. The APBTs I have been still pretty active at 12 . When I search breeders it often seems like they are almost two separate breeds(English/American). Is finding a true mixture of the two types (that does all the health testing and breeds for good/stable temperaments) realistic?

Thanks in advance for your info and wisdom.

2. Beanwood

Beanwood Registered Users

Hi and welcome to the forum @DogLuber33 from the Beanwood pack :)

DogLuber33 likes this.
  3. Bud Light/Dilly Dilly

Bud Light/Dilly Dilly Registered Users

Welcome!

My Buddy is 1/2 American lab (his dad) and 1/2 English (his mom). I got him from a breeder that had all the health testing done and was able to see him and both of his parents before buying him. This specific breeder had some mixes of American and English labs, but other than her, other people selling puppies either weren't specific about whether their labs were English or American labs. Most of the ones I looked at online looked like English labs. Maybe it has to do with my location and areas I was looking, who knows. But they are out there, you just have to keep looking.

DogLuber33 likes this.