Himalayan chews

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Lozzz31, Jul 30, 2017.

1. Lozzz31

Lozzz31 Registered Users

Morning all.
    Does anyone give these chews to their puppy? I got one for Ziggy yesterday and when I took it out of the pack there were a few broken bits so I threw them away and gave the large whole piece to Ziggy. A few minutes later he had managed to break off a dangerous sized piece and had it in his mouth chewing on it so i had to take it away from him.
    These chews are rock hard and he seemed to love it so I'm a bit disappointed that it seemed dangerous - especially as they're quite expensive!
    So maybe the one I had was faulty? Or perhaps they're just not lab puppy proof?
    Any experience with them would be really helpful!
    Thank you! Have a lovely day!

2. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Sounds a bit worrying.
    Not heard of them
    Does it say what they are made from?

3. Helen

Helen Registered Users

I got Buster one a few months ago, it was 7.99 for a small one, I thought it would last him a couple of weeks where he could just have a chew now and again. WRONG I was putting the shopping away and tidying up so gave it to Buster, it literally took him 1 hour to demolish it, I won't be buying another one, to expensive.

4. Lozzz31

Lozzz31 Registered Users

They're really healthy apparently. They are cheese based, made with yaks milk and cows milk, lime juice and salt. That's all of the ingredients. The lactose us removed so that they don't upset tummies and they're gluten free. They're rock hard and are supposed to last at least a week, with only tiny softened bits able to be nibbled off and swallowed. Ziggy loves his but I think it may be faulty as it was broken. I just wondered whether anyone had had a similar experience.

https://www.himalayan.pet/products/himalayan-dog-chews

5. Jojo83

Jojo83 Registered Users

I've seen numerous comments online with these chews breaking into splinters or chunks rather than giving the hours of chewing claimed by the manufacturer.

Personally I would avoid due to the addition of salt which is the 3rd listed ingredient after the yak and cow's milk.

6. Spencerboy

Spencerboy Registered Users

I have given these to my pups with no problem. Maybe you did get a faulty batch. They are pricey and didn't last as long as I had been told by others(only one week of chewing) but I also only let them have it for an hour at a time. Glad to know they can be faulty or even dangerous, may not use them again although the pups loved them.

7. Kelsey&Axel

Kelsey&Axel Registered Users

I gave one to Axel once when he was about 9 months old. I thought it would last a couple hours or days but no, he finished it in under 15 minutes. So I never bought them again.

8. Plum's mum

Plum's mum Registered Users

Same here, Plum has had a couple (from the age of 9 months) and has demolished them within the hour. I was so surprised, after claims they would last hours, I searched all over thinking she'd discarded it!