Hip and elbow dysplasia

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by teapot57, Aug 23, 2014.

1. teapot57

teapot57 Registered Users

Just found out that one of my pup's litter mates has hip dysplasia on rear legs and elbow dysplasia on front legs! Pups are only 6 months old, and I am devastated for his owners, as we have got to know them and the dogs have played together a few times. The parents had good scores, mum 4/4 hips, 0/0 elbow and dad 3/3 hips, 0/0 elbow so we took care when choosing.

How worried do I need to be for my puppy? . At the moment he seems fine, very active, swims almost every day. I'm aware that I'll need to keep an even closer eye on his weight, and will be taking even more care re jumping etc. He loves to run and retrieve his Kong air stick and I'm wondering if this is still ok to do? This is mostly played on the beach or in a field.

His high quality kibble has Salmon as the main protein, and I also give him 2 pumps of salmon oil daily which he's had since 14 weeks, plus 2 cans sardines or pilchards weekly. Sometimes 3 if used as high reward training treat.

Anything else I should be doing or giving him?

So sad for his little brother but know he can have a good normal life with care and if he can learn to swim so much the better for him.

2. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Re: Hip and elbow dysplasia

Sorry to hear this about your friends' dog. I hope they manage to get on a good programme that helps him, and he manages ok.

I don't know whether or not you have anything to worry about - sorry. I don't know the likelihood of other puppies in the litter being the same vs the chances of only one puppy having a problem (which might have been caused by other factors - weight, exercise and so on). Either way though, I'd say there is nothing you can do apart from as you have mentioned, keep him very slim, and moderate exercise.

3. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

I agree with Julie , you are being very responsible and doing all the right things , the rest is down to luck really , keep doing what you`re doing, try not to worry too much , the parents scores are good although this is no guarantee of course . I have often come across owners of very young dogs who tramp them for miles and miles, who allow them to run up and down stairs, jump into cars etc . most get away with it but if the predisposition is there, they don't :)

4. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Sorry too you are worrying about this.
    They sound like very low scores. You are taking a sensible approach from your description, which minimises any of the "environmental risk" of developing HD I would think.
    Worrying about it won't make it more or less likely to happen, so try and enjoy your pup, with your safeguards in place, and try not to let it spoil your relationship with your boy.
    And if it does, well, its not the end of the world. Cross that bridge if you have too.
    That would be my advice as the owner of a dog with severe HD who "just gets on with it" (the dog, not me! ;D )

5. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I think I'd be inclined to have your puppy hip and elbow scored in a few months, just so you know. Then you can either breathe a deep sigh of relief, or know that you need to take extra precautions. But hopefully all will be ok with your little chap.

6. teapot57

teapot57 Registered Users

Thanks for all replies. Hard not to worry but hopefully he'll be fine and we'll just carry on as normal.

Jan