Hip testing

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Rosie, Sep 7, 2014.

1. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

If I wanted to find out what Pongo's hip scores are, what would that involve? Is there a minimum age, and is it a major procedure?

2. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Re: Hip testing

They need to be 12 months and it involves a general anaesthetic.

It's not something I'd do unless:
    (A) my dog had signs of lameness and I wanted to rule in or out bad hips as the cause
    (B) I wanted to breed from or show my dog
    (C) My dog was having an anaesthetic anyway for something else

That's just my opinion though :) Do you think you have any reason to be worried about his hips?

3. Rosie

Rosie Registered Users

Hi Rachael - no, I'm just the classic over-anxious mother! (And he does do a LOT of running and jumping up and down our very steep and hilly garden - can't stop him, he enjoys it too much.) I can't help imagining that I'm seeing stiffness in his gait and panicking - even though everyone else tells me its nonsense... ;)

Certainly wouldn't want to subject him to GA just to find out! Thanks for the answer.

Is there any other way I can be reassuring myself or do I just have to take a chill pill? ;D

4. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

:)

You can ask the vet to do a physical exam to check the looseness of his joints and his muscle development - that gives a general indication. But unless you notice any actual lameness I wouldn't make a special visit. The next time you're in for something you could ask the vet to check. Having said that, if you are really worried perhaps a visit might put your mind at rest :)

Try not to worry though - most dogs have joints that will see them through their life just fine :)