Holibobs with the dooglies

Discussion in 'Agility & Flyball' started by snowbunny, May 8, 2016.

1. Cath

Cath Supporting Member Forum Supporter

What great photos of your lovely dogs. It looks wonderful. Enjoyable for all the family too :happyfeet:

2. Granca

Granca Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Gorgeous photos! You're obviously going to be changing your priorities for the work on the new property in Spain!

I've tried in the garden with my two and suppose I should persevere, but Wispa throws herself into everything and gets exhausted too quickly. Tuppence, who is impossible to exhaust, takes the easy way out and avoids the obstacles!

3. snowbunny

snowbunny Administrator Forum Supporter

Willow can avoid jumps on occasion, so I have to work on getting her to love them, like she loves the tunnel. It's also completely destroyed any kind of steadiness I had with her, so I'm tackling that now I'm back home, but it won't take long to get her solid again. On the other hand, it seems to have done wonders for their wanting to stick around us - on our walk yesterday evening they walked probably 60% of it in a voluntary heel or close position! I'm so looking forward to having the opportunity to work on both things now - agility and gundog training - once we're in the new house. And then add scentwork for Willow, too :D

Newbie Lab Owner likes this.
  4. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Looks like you all had a great time Fiona. Lovely photo's, I absolutely love the ones with Willow with her prized pine cones :D:D x

Where did you buy the blue ball please?

5. Oberon

Oberon Moderator Forum Supporter

This thread rocks! Fab pics :)

6. snowbunny

7. Emily

Emily Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Totally loving the photos! Looks like you all had so much fun! You have gorgeous dogs :)

Ella is truly impressed with Willow's pine cone carrying ability :nod:and thinks Shadow has some lovely manly muscles at the moment :$

8. snowbunny

They say "why thank you!" and Shadow has gone a fetching shade of pink :$

9. Karen

Karen Moderator Forum Supporter

Great photos!!!!

10. Beanwood

Beanwood Moderator Forum Supporter

Absolutely fab action shots! Love the competitive spirit around pine cones!

We love agility with Benson, it is soooo much fun and he adores the attention he gets. We primarily started agility just to work on our partnership working together. It probably has affected steadiness, hard to tell. We have just changed cues, so "wait" is only used in agility, dropped "stay" completely and reinforced release cues. So a "sit" means sit until we release, and "wait" means hangonforjustasecsomethingfunisgoingtohappennow......:)

11. snowbunny

Elaine did note my lack of a wait cue. I've only ever used "sit until I tell you to do something else". I'm going to see how I get on, but might introduce a new cue just for agility, because Willow tends to wait in a "ready for action" stance, or goes into a down, and I don't want to poison her sit/stay for gundoggy stuff. On the other hand, I don't know if the context of sitting in front of an agility course is cue enough that I have different criteria. It's something to ponder on.

12. snowbunny

To note, I'm more than happy for her to be ready to pounce for agility, and don't want to steady her up so much she's hesitant to explode into action.

13. Beanwood

Beanwood Moderator Forum Supporter

Benson is like a bullet in agility..attacks everything, which is good. When his sit stay fell apart we just started again being careful not to use any "wait/stay" cues. It has worked. We also mixed in a similar behaviour "settle" so I think what has happened is Benson associates gundoggery with steadiness, and agility with "Go!Go!Go! I think what may be a caveat here when looking at Benson's behaviour and comparing to Willow/Shadow is that Benson has never had a high drive for retrieving, so do we run a very real risk of losing some element of drive in the field? My next task is to up the ante on his retrieving by raiding some charity shops and bring some new toys out. :)

14. snowbunny

Shadow had to learn to enjoy retrieving - it's not something he took to naturally. It was a real eye-opener for me how quickly it was possible to make a behaviour reinforcing in itself, by proper use of other enforcers. I'd done a bit of this, but found it slow progress. Elaine really is a genius when it comes to handling! I understand better now how to make a behaviour exciting by proper use of rewards, which, I think, will really help with our retrieving.

15. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Charlie is a non retriever, how are using proper use of rewards to help with this Fiona? I'm really keen to understand this too :) anything to help him would be great. x

16. charlie

charlie Registered Users

17. snowbunny

I'll reply to your other question in a bit, but as for this...

If you can't find it elsewhere, it's worth trying zooplus.fr to see if they have it - they often have different stock levels and the postage is usually about the same, too.