Holidays with dogs

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by Sersi, May 23, 2013.

1. Sersi

Sersi Registered Users

So, I am fortunate to be heading off to the beautiful Loire valley for a week on Saturday. A very long drive from Hertfordshire with 3 children under 10 and a 9 month old lab. Really looking forward to being on holiday with all of us - cat happily left at home with my neighbour popping in, she will be in a dog and child free utopia. Any tips for the journey? We're taking the car over on the tunnel so should be pretty straight forward regarding Digby by the looks of it.

2. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Re: Holidays with dogs

The tunnel is a piece of cake. Just make sure you stop beforehand and let him out for a pee, as he should not be allowed out of the car in the train...

3. Sersi

Sersi Registered Users

It looks like there's a special area to take dogs so factoring in enough time for a Digby toilet stop.

4. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

And take plenty of dog water with you too , lots of tiddle stops and maybe a kong stuffed with peanut butter or similar ? Sounds lovely , love the Loire Valley , so pretty :)

5. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

One of my dogs didn't like to drink water on a long car trip - but he would drink chicken stock (I think he had us trained). So, maybe slip a carton of liquid chicken stock in the boot just in case. Having said that, I'm sure that Digby will be completely normal and will drink up his water :)

6. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Sersi, have a fabulous time and I am sure Digby will be just fine, and as you know having children, just be prepared. Looking forward to some pictures when you get back :D Helen xx

7. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I remember a very happy holiday in the Loire valley, with two children and two labs! All had a ball!!

At one time the children and I took out a rowing boat and went for a row along the Loire. Both dogs leapt into the river (they were supposed to stay with on the bank with my ex!! ::) ), and much to the amusement of passersby followed us down the river... Must have been a great sight!

Have fun and post photos when you get back.

8. Sersi

Sersi Registered Users

What a great image Karen :)

Digby has never really had any experience of water - apart from our pond ::). The farmhouse has a swimming pool...could be interesting!!

Thanks all, signing off now as I have FAR FAR too much to do to be spending any time on here....a bientot!