Hooligan Labrador, with a large audience, in a hotel....

Discussion in 'Clicker Training' started by JulieT, Aug 6, 2015.

1. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Right. So back in January things were going really quite well....my hooligan was coming under control (well, more or less, as you could expect...) and I had a whole 10 months in front of me of planned out training. I do plans. Big time. We had 121s booked, training holidays booked, group sessions booked. I was on a mission....

At that point in time, I enlisted all my work colleagues in a bid to secure me the maximum possible places for a handler plus dog at clicker expo in October. Great, I got everything I wanted....

Then, the dreaded second cruciate went. :( Bugger. So instead of my perfect hooligan control training plan, all I've done is trained my dog to lie still to have his leg iced, and identify a pot, oven glove and cloth....in my kitchen with no distractions. :rolleyes:.

He is now a hooligan on speed - you really would have to see it to believe it. He has been isolated from other dogs - again - and is a mad, crazy being with his one mission in life to stop behaving and instead go have fun saying "HI HI HI, IT'S MEEEEEE" to every dog and person on the planet. Previous experience is this takes a fair amount of time to wear off.

Ok. So, I have my clicker expo place booked. I have my training labs booked. I have paid for my hotel. And I have 8 weeks to go.

Do I quit, accept that to take this crazed hooligan to a hotel in Warwickshire, with an audience of 200 people with mobile devices and the ability to post videos of ridiculous dogs on social media is probably not the most sensible of my ideas, or do I try to do something about it?

HeeHeeHee....I'm going. Arghhhhh......

What can I do, training wise to prepare my dog? Just to reduce the chances that we'll be a trend on facebook for 15 minutes....? :D:D:D

All I have lined up so far is a group class on a Saturday (puppy school, really) to get him used to being around other dogs. Hmmm....that might not do it.....

Suggestions on a post card to "I'm desperate, I own a hooligan Labrador".

2. Lisa

Lisa Moderator Forum Supporter

Ha ha, can't wait to see Charlie have his 15 minutes of fame. Fenton, move over!!

Seriously,though....don't you have lots of doggy opportunities just going to your Common? Sounds like it's always heaving with dogs. Can't you use that space for training?

3. Oberon

Oberon Moderator Forum Supporter

Do nothing and enjoy the notoriety ;)

Can you go to dog shows or competitions? Flyball comps are usually good opportunities to proof against a hurricane of doggie noise and excitement.

4. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

Valium for you ?

5. Beanwood

Beanwood Moderator

I think finding a fun day would be a good start....specially a combination of indoor and outdoor.There are loads of them, might be worth travelling to find the right one or two.

We took Benson and Casper to one. Part of it was in a hall so great training for them. Microphone...people, dogs, treats lots of noise! :)

[​IMG]The George by Kate Hart, on Flickr

6. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

And a hip flask of the strong stuff. Can you copyright Charlie's anticipated performance and sell the rights and make some money . Other than that relax and see how well he performs on the day

7. Boogie

Boogie Moderator

Here's a thought - get a puppy!

:p:p:p

When we've go a puppy here Tatze has very little interest in other dogs, unless they behave really puppyish she walks on by. When we are sans-puppy she is on the lookout for playmates and mischief!

8. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

9. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Kate - that is exactly the environment I need. What was that? A fun day from a dog club?

10. Jen

Jen Registered Users

This probably won't be helpful but I will pass on the advice I got from a behaviourist. Don't pre empt, don't worry about what might happen it alters you. It doesn't matter what the dog does but how you respond to it. Be calm, confident and fun. Easy said I know.

11. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

I really like that advice. Not always easy to work with but a good way of thinking :D

12. Stacia

Stacia Registered Users

You will probably find that in 8 weeks time he will have calmed down considerably; he is like us in a chocolate shop, very exciting to see and taste all the chocolates but after a while they lose that fantastic appeal:)

13. Joy

Joy Registered Users

How about walking round a Pets at Home shop, if there's one near you. You could start by going at a quiet time and work up to busy Saturdays. There are nearly always other dogs in the one near us when I go and it can get quite noisy.
    I think you should go to the clicker event. There's quite a time before then to get Charlie feeling relaxed around other dogs and, while you may not cover the things you'd originally hoped for, you are sure to learn ways forward from where Charlie is at that point.
    From the audience point of view, they're going to learn more from seeing how to clicker train a 'hooligan' ( though I don't think for a minute he is one really) than watching dogs who can already do everything. And come to think of it, I bet for most of the other dogs and owners it will also be a challenging environment.

14. Beanwood

Beanwood Moderator

Very very good advice...I have had a walk from hell with Casper...I was really stressed and tired before the walk...took him to a common usually quiet first thing..it was horrendous from start to finish...:(

JulieT - might be worth googling "fun dog day village hall" locally to find one. There are lots this time of year, usually with a fun competition and proceeds going to charity. :)

15. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

My stress levels are not an issue - thankfully I'm expecting a huge funny side to this - although do appreciate that I'm not dealing with an anxious or reactive dog (so my problems are trivial, really), just an extremely happy dog doing a tigger impersonation. :D:D:D

Yes, I've googled fun dog day - thanks so much for that suggestion. I've found one so far, hope I might find a few others too.

16. snowbunny

snowbunny Administrator Forum Supporter

Sorry, I have no advice other than to ensure it's all caught on video :D :D :D

17. Emily

Emily Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Sorry, no advice from me but... One of the girls at obedience school had a Go Pro with a special harness for her dog. Maybe you could invest in one of those to capture the whole event for us ☺

18. Oberon

Oberon Moderator Forum Supporter

The is the best suggestion so far.

19. Jen

Jen Registered Users

Sorry Julie I just assumed you were asking for ideas because you were worrying about it. Now we'll be disappointed when Charlie is the model pupil

Another piece of advice the behaviourist gave me which I've found very useful is don't try and micro manage every action of your dogs life. Honestly it was weird I thought how on earth does this woman know me. Pre empting what might happen and micro managing to try and avoid it should be written on my t shirt.

20. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

The chance of me looking like a fool at some point is about 100% I reckon! :D:D:D I'd still like to get as much out of it as I can though, so getting Charlie to calm down a bit in similar environments before I go seems sensible.

Buying Charlie his own Go Pro is absolutely inspired! :D