Hooligan Labrador, with a large audience, in a hotel....

Discussion in 'Clicker Training' started by JulieT, Aug 6, 2015.

1. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Oh I like your behaviourist :D. What sensible and practical advice. Perhaps we all should write these down and stick them on the fridge to refer to every day :D:D

2. Jen

Jen Registered Users

She gave me lots of sensible and practical advice Rosemary very helpful and straight forward and it's actually working even with my two.

3. Pilatelover

Pilatelover Registered Users

Just catching up on this topic, you're been given some brilliant advice.(of which I will use). I don't have any to give especially as Mabel was so crazy in Looe we aborted our plans and went to the pub instead.
    Charlie is definitely going to be a star.
    Not sure where you are staying in Warwickshire if you want to meet up I'm in Coventry.
    I use "Sound Hounds" for Mabel's training they've had a fun day and some lovely group walks of which we couldn't attend any, due to restricted exercise. You could always try contacting the owner Nicky, she may be able to help.
    I think you should write a series of children's books about Charlie's antics. You'd make a fortune.

4. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I've found one fun day to go to...so that's a start. But it seems to be outside. It's got "fastest bonio eating" comp, so reckon we might be in with a shot, there. :D

We've just been round pets at home and had his nails clipped - I was hoping the small grooming salon might be busy with dogs, no such luck, it was empty. Anyway, got his nails done....

I've found a class in a church hall :rolleyes: *shudder* but that should give us some practice up close with other dogs, plus the outside class he is already going to....

What else....I need places busy with people and other dogs, inside. We have the vet's tomorrow, but that's not very realistic I don't think.

5. Merla

Merla Registered Users

Ha - me too!!!

Merla is a bit of a nutter at times, and the Game Fair was quite a challenge for her. Most stretching was me wanting to watch a display and drink a cup of tea with the only seats next to the Gundog arena having their backs to the BASC long retrieve scurry, complete with dummy launcher

Significant experimentation has shown that me actively trying to get her to settle doesn't work (no, really?!). What works best is having her in a secure harness with one of those 'police style leads' with clips at both ends and a loop in the middle, which I loop round and fasten either to a (sturdy!) bench or chair or to my belt. And then let her sort herself out. I've developed a 'relax' cue which means 'I'm going to ignore you now and whatever it is you want, it isn't going to happen so make the best of things and find a comfy spot'. And it seems to be working. Mostly. The bonus with the lead round the belt manoeuvre is it leaves both hands free for clicker and treats if needed in extremis, opening doors, writing things down, drinking tea etc etc etc.

The problem with implementing this at clicker expo is that the 2 metre exclusion zone necessary to stop undesirable lunging, licking, squiggling etc particularly when moving around is unlikely to be available. So....er.....I think I'm reduced to recommending seats on aisles and near doors !!! And if possible, moving around with someone else to be the other piece of bread for a 'Charlie sandwich'

And another vote from me for the Go Pro

6. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

That pretty accurately describes training a settle cue, I think. :)

7. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Yup I took the put him in a harness and tie him to something immovable approach with Obi. The respite from not actually holding onto him was remarkable!

Apart from the obvious essentials in the photography/video department you can always just give charlie to me while you drink a cup of tea.....

8. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Yikes. It's next week! Oh Lordy....all I've done of the above suggestions is buy Charlie a go-pro!

Failing to prepare is preparing to fail....and all that....I'll pack some wine, I think. :D:D:D

9. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Wine and the Go-pro. That's all you need.

10. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Post the facebook videos before anyone else. Then drink wine. That's the plan.....

11. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

I'll bring my wallet to buy more wine while we sniff at the boring people with well behaved dogs :D

12. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

You are amazing JulieT!

I find puppy classes do help - 'tho they don't seem to at the time. But the classes do get them used to being trained around other dogs - which does (in time) translate to behaving round other dogs.

:)

My Tatze gets worse round new people with age (she's 2 and a half now :rolleyes:)

13. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I was a little unfair to myself - I have been taking Charlie back to class. :) For all the good it has done us though.....:D:D:D

Hopefully he won't be too bad!

But, this weekend he has managed to break his dew claw and has a very gunky looking eye! So off to the vet tomorrow. Hope we are declared fit to go.....

14. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

If you are still prepared to admit you know us by Saturday, I'll count that as success! :D:D:D

15. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

I expect lots of pics and vids from this event....

16. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

That GoPro hand mount is going to be worth its weight in gold (or seabiscuits). :)

17. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

HeeHee....:D:D:D I'll try do some vids for sure.

On Friday, Charlie starts off in "Doggie Zen" class with a Norwegian trainer, Cecillie Koste. So that's fine, we'll be all zen like after that and I don't expect anymore trouble from Charlie. ;)

Then he goes to "clean training skills" with Kay Lawrence.

A bit of crate time for Charlie, and I'm going to a lecture on "deconstructing behaviours" by Emily Larlham (won't it be funny to see her in real life, rather than on youtube kikopup?).

On Saturday, I'm going to a lecture on classical and operant conditioning, then Charlie gets to do a class "super friendly to super cool" - more impulse control! It's what we need....

Then there is a lecture on premack that I'm interested in.

I'm not sure how long we'll stay on the Sunday, as it's the advanced gundog class at my normal place (also in Warwickshire), so I might go do that instead. Depends on how good I find Clickerexpo. If I stay, Charlie is booked into a recall class....

18. Karen

Karen Registered Users

I love the sound of the Doggie Zen class... :cool::cool::cool:

19. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

Sounds fab! Doggy zen! :D :D :D

20. Lochan

Lochan Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Looking forward to full reports. And videos. Lots of videos of the zen-trance Charlie.