Hooligan Labrador, with a large audience, in a hotel....

Discussion in 'Clicker Training' started by JulieT, Aug 6, 2015.

1. UncleBob

UncleBob Moderator Forum Supporter

Thanks for the write-ups Julie - sounds like you had a great time (and learned new stuff too!). And well done, Charlie :cool:

Harv is a galloper too - has the class in fits of laughter when he virtually skids to a halt in front of me after a warp-speed recall! ;)

2. snowbunny

snowbunny Administrator Forum Supporter

Thanks for the write-ups, ladies.
    Some very interesting things there. Visual cues are definitely a lot stronger than verbal cues with my two. I have to work a lot harder to get a them anywhere near as responsive to a verbal cue as they are to a visual one. I keep them both, though. On the stop, they will always spin and stop to my whistle, but often won't plant their bums unless I use my visual; an arm straight in the air. I'm trying to fade that, but it's a slow road.

I had absolutely zero success with using a hand target for delivery! I know loads of people have, though (and it's something SWMBO suggested using), so it must be something I'm doing wrong. They both have very strong hand targets, but can't consolidate this with having a dummy in their mouths.

I'd be interested in hearing more on the fading of targets, Barbara. If my two can't see the target stick when I'm doing a back cast or THC then they will get confused and start wandering. So I've gone right back to basics and short distances, but I'm not sure where to go from here. It's something I was going to discuss with SWMBO next month. I think I might try using a disk target instead to see if that helps at all.

Charlie sounds fabulous! I'd rather have a dog with enthusiasm any day over one of those boring "dutiful" plodders :)

3. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

A few points from the target session I found really helpful:

You have to have your dog able to go further than you will end up asking him. So if your aim is a 100m outrun, then you need to be working at 110 - 120m.

The targets we saw in the videos faded quickly - they were quite flat targets. So at quite short distances the dog couldn't see them. So you could start cutting your target stick down, or switch to a flat target.

But the absolute key was as Barbara said - you have to switch your marker and reward from the target to the behaviour - so you start clicking before the dog reaches the target (so that's why you need to establish your distance further than you need it).

4. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

On the send away she was using a paw target on the ground rather than posts. She said if you need your dog to run 30m you need your target at 40m then once you've got the target behaviour down you can click the direction, speed etc at 30m before the dog gets to the target and they return for their reward. Then the target has become superfluous thus fading it.
    Her hand target was a static thing where the dog parked it's nose in her hand. She said to teach a hold separately and then put the two together.....

5. snowbunny

[​IMG]

Thanks, both!

6. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I have to say, I think Charlie was very glad to be able to hoolie round the Common today - he took a huge galloping run at the pond and hurled himself in (then had trouble getting out :rolleyes: because that particular pond has straight sides - it's not like he doesn't know this as we've had to pull him out of it several times before), rolled in a load of gunky mud and dragged several tree branches around.

I think he was glad not to be in a hotel conference room! :D:D:D

7. Karen

Karen Moderator Forum Supporter

Haha, certainly sounds like it!

8. bbrown

Bless him, his self control has been amazing. I bet he loved his leg stretch!!!

9. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Back to the targeting. Thinking about the videos we saw bbrown , would you say the trainers established the distance they needed before changing the click? I think they definitely did.

10. bbrown

Yes I think they did. It seemed relatively easy to reintroduce a target though so if you did a 40m target and started clicking before (getting a return for reward) and then wanted to move the dog out to 90m you could reintroduce the target again. The command seemed to hold up unless other instructions appeared before the target was reached.

I think it will be important to mix up distances as you can quite often see a dog that is trained at one distance struggle to retrieve at other distances. It's common to find a dog that has a limit (often what the handler can throw) but also you see dogs trained for tests at long distances start to over run retrieves because they never pick anything up at 30/40m.

What was it snowbunny quoted SWMBO saying - anticipate anticipation

11. snowbunny

That would make my limit about 5m then :D :D :D

12. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I'm tempted to use an oven glove as a flat target - I have a pot, a glove and a cloth as strong paw targets from that dratted object name game I trained when Charlie was on rest!

13. bbrown

You see this is where my crazy throwing works in my favour......in front, behind, in a hedge...? who knows where it will land?.....

14. bbrown

Sounds perfect! I bought a frisbee and a yellow, lemon shaped chopping board yesterday :D

15. snowbunny

Ooooh, I like the idea of a frisbee as a target! Although, I'm pretty sure my two would pick it up and run off with it....

I have a big piece of purple foam that I'm planning on cutting into bits to use. Won't work in the wind, though - and no chance throwing it. Hmmmm.

16. bbrown

There wasn't any throwing involved, the frisbee was used as a chin rest. It was important to use different targets(colours, textures and shapes) for different things. Some ideas were fly swatters, pieces of wood, mouse mats, plates and fabric(including towels). One person had taught their dog to hold on to a piece of wood in a frame with their mouth so they could brush the dogs teeth!!!

17. snowbunny

Ah, OK. Still, it could be used as a target at distance - if I could stop the dogs either retrieving or running off with it. Yeah, that may go on the back burner.

18. bbrown

Uuummmmm yes good luck with that one and please make sure you video it :D :D :D

19. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

In the lecture, the presenter said "oh, and this student is using a plate because her dog retrieves everything else!". And people laughed. Like that was a funny or unusual thing to do......Huh.

It was only an itsy bitsy spaniel. Charlie says he bet it couldn't drag an electric fence post out of the ground and fetch it....

20. snowbunny

They've never seen a frisbee. Maybe that means that they wouldn't recognise it as a toy and something to chase..... lalalalalal!!!

*cuz I had to work so hard at teaching them to chase a ball....