Horrid dog jumped on us

Discussion in 'Labrador Chat' started by JulieT, Dec 1, 2013.

1. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Took Charlie up to the woods at the side of the common - I had him on a back fastening harness (don't tell the gundog trainer) as I'm trying to make a distinction between "sniffy walks" and normal walks. I let him "go sniff" when a 15 min lead walk is all he gets.

A black dog came over, friendly at first, but we were trying to walk on. It was jumping round Charlie and I asked the owner to call it (just called to her, it was no big deal, but we were trying to walk away and I was trying to keep Charlie calm). Then the dog did a full on jump on top of Charlie, snarling and growling. I don't think he bit him, but it was very scary. Charlie tried to leg it, so glad he was on his harness he might have wriggled out of a collar, and I grabbed the other dog to pull it off. Which was stupid, but I think I stopped it having another go at Charlie. Owner took the dog off me - without a word... :eek: :eek: :eek:

I was really shaken. Goodness knows what I'd be like if it were more serious. Hysterical no doubt. ::)

I walked on and let Charlie off his lead in a little clearing, for a "go play" and a bit of a free sniffing. Charlie spotted a group of 3 dogs through the woods in the next clearing and took off at 100mph - in a burst of a week's worth of pent up energy! Thankfully, he screeched to a halt on his recall, turned, and came back. Phew. Thank you, thank you, Total Recall!

Back on his lead, won't take it off again until he has the all clear. It would have probably set us right back if he'd had a big hoolie with three other dogs. ::)

2. drjs@5

drjs@5 Registered Users

Re: Horrid dog jumped on us

Poor Charlie.
    Blessing his good recall.
    Definitely no hoolies :( :(

3. Dexter

Dexter Moderator Forum Supporter

Blimey....poor Charlie,bet it gave you a horrible fright,snotty dog owner too !i know he's on hoolie lockdown but good to know it didn't dent his confidence and he was happy to go and seek out some other four legged company....got my fingers crossed for good news re his progress,I know it will be x

4. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=Dexter link=topic=3511.msg38677#msg38677 date=1385918480]
    but good to know it didn't dent his confidence and he was happy to go and seek out some other four legged company....
    [/quote]

Yes, I didn't look at it that way - cheered me up a bit, thanks.

5. Naya

Naya Registered Users

I hope Charlie is relaxing now after his adventure :)
    Harley likes to go and sniff other dogs and sometimes tries to get them to play, but I will always check with the owner if it's ok, and definitely apologise loads if she gets too exuberant when it's not reciprocated. I think that owner needs to learn manners!!

6. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

Poor lad, and you too , just what you didnt need :mad: :mad:

7. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=Naya link=topic=3511.msg38684#msg38684 date=1385919164]
    I hope Charlie is relaxing now after his adventure :)
    Harley likes to go and sniff other dogs and sometimes tries to get them to play, but I will always check with the owner if it's ok, and definitely apologise loads if she gets too exuberant when it's not reciprocated. I think that owner needs to learn manners!!
    [/quote]

Dogs will run over to other dogs, of course, and we can't always stop them. But the jumping on us, growling and snarling! Well, really, it was too much.

8. Oberon

Oberon Supporting Member Forum Supporter

That's no good :( Glad it didn't become more serious. Good boy for coming back when called :)

9. Karen

Karen Registered Users

Oh dear, poor Charlie. Glad he is ok. Sorry you had a run-in with a rude owner, too :(

10. Lisa

Lisa Registered Users

Ack!! Glad nothing too bad happened...so annoying... :p

11. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Oh poor Charlie, hope you are both ok Julie. This happened to Hattie about a month ago, again the owner said NOTHING :mad:

12. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Feeling a bit better now. Have given Charlie an extra tummy rub, and an all over massage, and he seems fine.

I know I'm always complaining about horrid dogs, I walk in incredibly busy, busy, dog places so just meet a huge number of dogs. I'm sure my ratio of nice dogs to horrid ones is about the same as everyone else's! It's just there are SO many of each.

Early last week on the common a dog - giving off really aggressive signals - came towards us and the owner told me to "just give him a kick". Speechless and horrified on so many levels.

Nearly the end of my London commitments so I can go work from Cornwall where there is more space. And maybe if we get lucky, and get there before Kate is buried under visitors, we can go and play with Kate's Sam - the only dog that makes gentle Charlie seem a bit rough! So Charlie loves him, of course.

13. charlie

charlie Registered Users

Oh I bet you can't wait to get back to the peace and quiet of Cornwall - bliss. Charlie you can then play with Mr Lovely Sam :D

14. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

Stupid dog and very stupid owner gggrrrrr

Cornwall and doggie playdates sound like a perfect antidote. Good luck tomorrow will be looking for news x

15. kateincornwall

kateincornwall Registered Users

And big Sam will be more than happy to introduce his pal Charlie to Golitha Falls , maybe a meet at Par beach too, weather permitting ;D ;D

16. bbrown

[quote author=kateincornwall link=topic=3511.msg38866#msg38866 date=1385991367]
    And big Sam will be more than happy to introduce his pal Charlie to Golitha Falls , maybe a meet at Par beach too, weather permitting ;D ;D
    [/quote]

So need to be there for those playdates ! Jealous :D

17. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=bbrown link=topic=3511.msg38875#msg38875 date=1385993617]
    [quote author=kateincornwall link=topic=3511.msg38866#msg38866 date=1385991367]
    [/quote]

So need to be there for those playdates ! Jealous :D
    [/quote]

One day no doubt - Riley, Charlie and Sam on the beach, with Millie keeping order. The tennis ball wouldn't survive...we might need more than one. ;D ;D ;D

18. bbrown

[quote author=JulieT link=topic=3511.msg38878#msg38878 date=1385994175]
    One day no doubt - Riley, Charlie and Sam on the beach, with Millie keeping order. The tennis ball wouldn't survive...we might need more than one. ;D ;D ;D
    [/quote]

Think of all that steadiness training going up in smoke !! :eek: :eek: :eek:

19. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

[quote author=bbrown link=topic=3511.msg38880#msg38880 date=1385994402]
    [quote author=JulieT link=topic=3511.msg38878#msg38878 date=1385994175]
    [/quote]

Think of all that steadiness training going up in smoke !! :eek: :eek: :eek:
    [/quote]

Oh, it'll be ok, just for once. ;D ;D ;D (don't let Heidrun hear us - shush... ;D ;D ;D - she'll strike our names off the waiting list for bootcamp!).

20. Jen

Jen Registered Users

Poor Charlie. It's so horrible when things like that happen.

So far I've been lucky with these two but Murphy was always getting attacked. The worst was 2 bull mastiffs on the canal bank. It happened in slow motion one slipped its lead came over to Murphy sniffed his nose then attacked!!!!! Then the one on the lead joined in !!!! The man had no hope of holding them. I ended up in the middle of a dog fight trying to drag a massive mastiff off my dog!!! Probably not the most sensible place to be but you don't think. ::) Thankfully Murphy gave them the slip and legged it up the tow path amazingly with no injuries. For once the owner did apologise. ::)

I'm sure Charlie's forgotten about it by now and he'll be able to have a lovely time on the Cornish beaches.

Jen