Hot weather and walks

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Sven, Aug 24, 2016.

1. Sven

Sven Registered Users

Hi,

This might just be for the people who live in a very hot climate.

The recent sunshine and being spring next month got me thinking about walks and paws. When it gets hot here the pavement and sand can burn your feet. Not a problem for our human feet (we can wear shoes etc.) but what about the paws?
    I have read to just take them for walks on lawn area, but getting to them still requieres some pavement walks. Plus it is nice to play in the water when it is hot...so the beach is good but the sand is hot...

Any advice to make sure no burnt paws?

Thanks

Sven

2. SwampDonkey

SwampDonkey Registered Users

I don't take them out if it's too hot. Mine are dark colours and it's no fun for them I take them out in the early morning or late evening.

3. snowbunny

snowbunny Registered Users

If it's too hot to put your hand on the tarmac and hold it there for several seconds, then it's too hot for paws. I don't take mine out when it's hot; we go out early, or late, when it's cooler.

Bruer likes this.
  4. Sven

Sven Registered Users

Thanks I would be checking the roads etc before I would let her walk on it. Had already thoght of that. Would not take her out in the middle of the day anyhow, even I would not go out then unless I have too. Problem is when we get a heatwave here and the temperature does not drop below 35 until about 5am and then climbs by sunrise about 510am. This can last for a while...it will just have to be night time walks and swims instead . Just have to watch out for those fins now...

5. snowbunny

Angela @Dexter will have some insights, I'm sure, as she lives in Dubai. I know she goes out very, very early in the mornings with Dex.

6. Millieboo

Millieboo Registered Users

I agree with what the others said, I just have to make a comment about a neighbor that lives somewhere close (not sure since he's ignorant and don't say hi back). He always walk his poor rather small dog when it's the hottest outside, it's always panting and he don't got any water with him for it, he got no control over that poor dog what so ever and he don't try to correct it either for that matter. My point was I always think, what a mean human he is taking his dog out for walks in 39celcius sun on the asphalt. I just don't get the logic doing that.
    I always go as early as possible (around 8 am when it's about 25-27) and luckily I got a stroller so I pack with me 3 water bottles and a bowl so Millie can drink, I also dip her paws for a couple of seconds and soak her whole body in water if it gets very humid. And in the evening we usually just go for a stroll for about 15 mins then I play fetch and do obidience for another 20mins in our yard before we head in to calm down before bed time.

7. snowbunny

When it's been at its hottest here, my dogs just haven't had "walks" as such, and I've spent the time playing brain games with them instead. It doesn't do them any harm to go without walks on occasion, and walking when it's really hot can be dangerous. I'll sometimes drive them to the river so they can have a swim and a play in the water, without a walk.

8. Emily_BabbelHund

Emily_BabbelHund Longest on the Forum without an actual dog

In Spain, I always knew that past the end of April, there would be no more weekend tourism trips because it would be too hot for Brogan. Sometimes, though, it couldn't be avoided. Here's what I did:

(1) put shoes on him - and little socks, too. I did research beforehand and chose RuffWear as I read they were using the shoe/sock combo with success on military dogs in the desert. They had Vibram soles and did not come off until I took them off. Worked a charm for many situations, not just heat.

(2) took lots and lots of water and just poured it over him to keep him wet.

(3) His last year I bought him a RuffWear Swamp Cooler jacket, but didn't get the chance to use it before he passed away. Had lots of good reviews on the RW site from people with older large breed black dogs. I've also seen bandanas with crystals in them - you soak and they stay wet/cool for a few hours.

But mainly I just didn't take him out between 10am and 8pm when it started to get to be that time of year.

9. Sven

Sven Registered Users

Thanks it will be walks before sunrise and after sunset for us. We already have brain games and getting her used to them, as I knew we would need to entertain her during the day at times.
    Plus we always have water with us that she gets after every walk, plus we stop if at drink stations along the way as every second entrace to the beach has a drinks fountain.

I would never take any dog out in extreme heat as I always saw other people do it and thought that got to hurt and can't be good. Just wanted to know how to deal with it as I always thought a dog would need a walk everyday

10. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

I'm not at all sure about pouring water over a dog when it's hot - it always seems to me that with a Labrador's double coat, that's pointless. The thing to do is get them to water that will cool their legs and tummies, something they can wallow in.

Last week when I was training in airless conditions in hot sun (in the UK though, so not massively hot) I took a doggie paddling pool with me and several water containers. My dogs really appreciated it.

[​IMG]happy hot hooligan by julieandcharlie julieandcharlie, on Flickr

Samantha Jones, Kelsey&Axel and Sven like this.
  11. Sven

Sven Registered Users

Yes I saw some in the shop here, pricy though. So my friend google came in play and helped me source one .
    She already has a sand pit for her digging, so thought I might as well add...plus I like a dip every now and again

12. Naya

Naya Registered Users

As its been quite hot here (for a change), I have driven Harley to walks and have stuck to off lead grassy areas with access to a stream. Harley is in and out of the stream dipping her tummy and legs. We've got a kids shell sandpit that we use as a paddling pool so she can cool down at home too

13. bbrown

bbrown Moderator Forum Supporter

I've seen the suggestion that wetting coats from the top down can actually be detrimental as it prevents cooling airflow. Cool or cold water on the legs and belly where blood vessels are nearer to the surface (legs and armpits) is more beneficial.

14. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Yes, I've heard that also.

15. Millieboo

Millieboo Registered Users

I agree, but my Millie wants to have her head where the bottle is pooring (I focus the tummy) and then I let her walk back n forth under the water as she please (she gets very sad if she don't get to do it) I think that behavior came from that she been running under the water sprinkler with my daughter. And I tend to rub my fingers a bit in the coat so it gets down in it. Then of course I got a pool waiting at home(well 2, one for Millie and a bigger one for me and my daughter).