House training in an apartment

Discussion in 'Dog Training: Principle and Practice' started by RDelmwood, Feb 25, 2016.

1. RDelmwood

RDelmwood Registered Users

House training, well in our case apartment training. Now we have house trained our last two labs when we lived in our house (crate trained from the beginning). That was relatively easy when you're just a few steps away from the back door and yard.

But now is my perceived challenge; an apartment. We live on

2. RDelmwood

Sorry guys I keep getting a proxy error and I can't finish my post. It's from Sucuri. Cloud proxy access denied

3. snowbunny

snowbunny Administrator

I've passed this issue on to one of our other admins who may be able to help.

4. admin

admin Administrator Staff Member

Can you possibly get a screen capture of the error you are seeing?

5. RDelmwood

Continued

We live on the 4th floor (top floor ) right across from the elevator. So far so good, but then it's approximatly 150 feet down the hall (all carpeted) to the nearest exit to the property. That's my major concern

6. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Hello, and a very warm welcome - so sorry you've had some trouble posting (I don't know what that's about) but glad you stuck with it!

I wouldn't worry, really. Puppies don't really pee if you are carrying them (unless an absolute emergency!). Just wear old clothes, start 5 mins ahead of when you think puppy needs to go out, and carry on as normal. When your puppy gets too big to carry, just pretend the hallway is your home and march swiftly along (you may want to carry thick tissues and a spray bottle of cleaning solution if the worst happens).

The puppy stage seems long, and tiring, when you are doing it but before you know it they are all grown up and a few trips out a day is plenty.

Best of luck with it!

7. RDelmwood

Some folks have said to pad train until they can hold themselves better. I don't think that's a great idea. What do you guys think?

8. MaccieD

MaccieD Guest

Some members use crate and play pen set ups for their puppies for night time and place puppy pads in the pen to allow puppy to toilet without getting up in the small hours. It doesn't seem to have a great impact on day time training where you'll be taking a puppy out frequently. I'm sure some members will be along soon who have used puppy pads successfully.

9. RDelmwood

Cookie took to the apt like a duck to water. We were amazed. We had never leashed her but she took to it very well. We also have a lot of property here with a dog pen and walking path.

10. JulieT

JulieT Registered Users

Well, if you have the time to take her outside each time, that's obviously better. Never having a dog wee or poo inside makes for a stronger final behaviour. It's certainly the case that if a dog always (or almost always, allowing for a few accidents that everyone with a small pup will have) goes to the toilet outside than that's a much better training experience for them.

If you really can't cope with midnight/early morning trips outside, I'd say leaving a puppy in a pen rather than a crate (so it can have a pee and poo away from its bedding if it can't last the night) is fine. I did this - I bought puppy pads, but then thought they were just a mad idea - pointless actually encouraging a puppy to pee inside rather than hold on. Plain newspaper did us just fine. I only did this at night though. During the day I was super diligent in taking my puppy outside and giving him treats for pooing and peeing outside.

And I kept the nights short at first - my partner stayed up until midnight, and I got up at 5am.