House Training, Licking...

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Emily Warren, Oct 6, 2019.

1. Emily Warren

Emily Warren Registered Users

Hi
    We are new here. We have a 16 week Lab/Springer cross (Dad is Lab, Mum is Springer, both gun dogs, family raised). Monty has been crated from birth with the breeder, we have continued this at home. He is left for a maximum 3 hours only twice a week, other days he has an open door. He has free access via dog flap to a huge garden he is free to roam in (I'm home too so he is rarely alone) He has a designated area for toiling there is taken upon every waking and at 30-60 minutes intervals- all in which he will wee. We can then be in the house for 30 minutes (sometimes not even that) and he wee's on the floor! He has free access to this garden via the dog flap, which he uses to play, but still comes in to toilet! He never poos inside- just wee.
    Any suggestions? I know he is still young, but it seems odd that he is still going in the house when he is also going frequently outside (no suggestion of infection or anything, had him checked). We use the ph neutralising spray etc and clean the floors daily too.
    Also, when can we expect the constant licking to stop?!
    Thank you in advance

2. Emily Warren

Oh- I should add too- he goes 10-12 hours overnight, so it's not a car of being physically unable to hold it!

3. J.D

J.D Registered Users

Hi Emily he is still very young to be reliably toilet trained. You may have to start going outside with him when he needs to go and reward him for going outside.He probably needs reminding that is the right place to go.
    Ignore the accidents indoors.
    If he is crated overnight and can hold on for that long it doesn’t mean he would choose to hold on during the day too. Most puppies don’t soil their crate unless they are really desperate or ill.
    Go back to basics and I’m sure it will soon fall into place.

4. Emily Warren

Hi J.D.
    Thank you for your reply.
    I probably wasn't clear enough in my post- our confusion lies in the fact we do all of what you suggest. We take him to his 'area' every 30-60 minutes, as soon as he wakes up from a sleep and if he has been crated as soon as we get back. He is given praise and/or treats (our neighbours must thing we are mad ha!), he goes outside when taken 100% of the time.

He also plays outside for hours with our children (we have a very large 100ft garden, so plenty of play time!

He can be in the house for 10 minutes after his last wee, and will wee on the floor. There is no pattern to the place so I don't think it's scent related (and we clean the floors every night) He shows no signs of needing to go....no sniffing, tracking, scratchingbat the door etc...he just 'goes' and Carrie's on what he is doing.

He is a bright pup, and has picked everything else up super quick (sit, lay down, leave it, drop it, stay, off lead etc etc...it just feels odd that he doesn't seem to be getting "don't we on the floor!"

Obviously he us still young and I'm sure this will calm eventually- just wondering if there is anything we can do to help him!

5. Edp

Edp Registered Users

Increase his treats when he is successful. Treat every time not just praise. His bladder is still immature so should improve and be more reliable in the next couple of weeks :)

6. leighxxxx

leighxxxx Registered Users

Kyko was quite old, not sure of the exact age but after 16 weeks before he was 100% dry in the house. He would last all night no problems & rarely had an accident through the day, but on an evening would end up peeing on the floor, & like you we had no signs (that we could notice) that he needed to go. We started taking him out probably every 20 mins & still had the odd accident & would still go out & have a massive pee straight afterwards. Not sure how long it took it was a gradual thing that we noticed oh he hasn't had an accident for x amount of days, but then he would have one again. He is 100% reliable now & in fact sometimes if it's raining hard he will refuse to go out before bed & has lasted well over 12 hours

Christina2807 likes this.
  7. Christina2807

Christina2807 Registered Users

Luna is now 17 weeks and sometimes she gets so excited or realises she needs to pee now and runs to a mat. I still take her out and she will pee again.

I think it is just because she hasn't got full control over her bladder yet and only lets out enough so that she can make it outside.

8. 5labs

5labs Registered Users

What is he licking?

9. Ski-Patroller

Ski-Patroller Cooper, Terminally Cute

My thought is that he doesn't know he is not supposed to wee in the house. Cooper was pretty good by 15 weeks, but she was in a pen in the kitchen with us most of the time for the first 6 or 7 weeks with us. She did not have the run of the house un-supervised at that point. If we saw her start to wee, we would pick her up and take her out. By 15 or 16 weeks she did use the dog door to the yard, and was loose in the house un-supervised some of the time. She also had an older Lab as a role model, which may have helped.