House training query

Discussion in 'Labrador Puppies' started by Dr S, Oct 25, 2017.

1. Dr S

Dr S Registered Users

Hi there - we're getting our new 7 week old puppy this weekend and I feel like we're as prepared as we can be, but I just have a question.

There will be somebody available constantly for the first 16 days, so we are planning to use errorless methods for housetraining, including the use of crate training. After the 16 days, puppy will be left for about 2 hours at a time and so we will be leaving him in a puppy-pen set-up with puppy pads should he require them. My question is, do we need to "train" him with the puppy pads, or should we just do what we can with the house-training in the 16 days, and hope that he will use the pads if he has to, once he is being left for up to 2 hours? I don't want train him to use them per se, as I feel it will likely make it harder/longer to housetrain him.

Hope this makes sense!

Heather :D

2. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Puppy pads don’t work - they just get shredded!

I would use a plastic bed in the pen so the bedding keeps dry and mop up any puddles when you get home. Pups soon start to hold their bladders for an hour or two :)

Keep the puppy pads for mopping up accidents - they are great for that!

3. Boogie

Boogie Supporting Member Forum Supporter

Here is our puppy set-up

4A5AB2FF-53CB-4896-9FC4-A3618DD5EE6B.jpeg

Sven likes this.
  4. Atemas

Atemas Registered Users

Yes agree with @Boogie - puppy pads just get shredded but are good for mopping up.

5. Dr S

Dr S Registered Users

What an adorable pup! We are going for something similar although have a crate rather than a bed.

Just not sure how to manage "accidents" that puppy can't hold - do they delay house-training at all?

Cheers
    Heather

6. Plum's mum

Plum's mum Registered Users

I had a crate and kept the door open overnight so she could leave the crate to wee and poo on newspaper I put by the backdoor. I was lucky in that she didn't chew the paper. The crate was in the kitchen behind a baby gate. I didn't train her to use the paper but she'd started to use paper at the breeders although occasionally she would wee on the kitchen tiles and not the paper.

This was all overnight. During the day I locked her in the crate when I went to work (I went back to work after 10 days). Like you I left her for up to two hours initially and she didn't wee or poo in that time.

My pup was dry and clean within 3-4 weeks so putting paper down didn't seem to delay her training but pups are all very different.

7. Dr S

Dr S Registered Users

Thanks Plum's mum - that's helpful to know!